SOLD .734" bore Conn 4-valve (slant-style) valve block $450 Bookmark and Share

Sell personal equipment
Forum rules
This is for selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.

SOLD .734" bore Conn 4-valve (slant-style) valve block $450

Postby bloke » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:41 pm

This was the first one (a 4-valve block made from two 3-valve blocks) that I ever did, and did it as a "practice" (for no project in particular).
If you will notice, the #4 exit knuckles are at the correct angles (coplanar/parallel with the other knuckles' angles).
The #4 casing is stamped "4" with the same size/font stamping as the 1-2-3 casings, and there is a K84686 serial number on casing #2...so I guess the original is a 51-years-old valve block.

I'm pretty sure that this would pass for "factory original", though I barely got the #4 casing too close to #3, so the top caps barely scrape against each other. Buff on the knurling for a minute or so, and they won't scrape. (The original caps did not scrape, but I replaced them with newer ones that are a subtly different style).

Please notice that the casings are honed, and the pistons are rebuilt but ONLY to the copper stage. Again, this was a "practice"...and it's really best to tube a valve block before final-fitting (nickel plate and lap) the pistons anyway. The tolerances are quite nice. The piston/casing rebuild work was not done at Anderson, but by a friend who did valve work in the distant past and (well...) has passed. I'd recommend sending it to Dan Oberloh for the final work. He might (??) complain that the work done (to this stage) is up to his standards, but I suspect (as it was done well) that he probably will not. Oh yeah...I patched one of the interior cross-ports as well. I'm also pretty proud of that work.

Obviously, to tube this you could either scrounge from 14/20/32/36/38-K valvesets (particularly some with ragged-out valves/casings) or just buy all new from Eastlake. The new 20K tubing is thinner wall (same bore) and not compatible with old, so you cannot mix-and-match.

The tubes on it now (original from whatever it was before...strongly hints at being from a 14K or 36K) are original and are included. The 8 caps, 4 stems, and 4 buttons (in the condition shown) are all included. The buyer will pay for the postage.

I believe any buyer will be satisfied that this is as represented. I was reasonably proud of my work (decades ago) when I did it...even though I had no project in mind for it.

This has been sitting in the bloke-attic for a couple of decades, and needs to be on someone's instrument.

Last edited by bloke on Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: .734" bore Conn 4-valve (slant-style) valve block - $450

Postby Alex C » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:50 am

Nice work, Bloke. Especially "just for practice."
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bloke » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:55 am

Thanks for the nice comments.

more shilling:
The .734" 20K tubing/crooks/braces are some of the MOST AVAILABLE (Eastlake, Ohio) and some of the MOST REASONABLY PRICED of any slide tubing and crooks made.

One or two people have already sent condolence emails that it isn't .750" bore, and that it is unacceptable - because it is 4/10mm smaller bore than .750" :lol:
bloke

Postby Rivercity Tuba » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:17 am

bloke wrote:Thanks for the nice comments.

more shilling:
The .734" 20K tubing/crooks/braces are some of the MOST AVAILABLE (Eastlake, Ohio) and some of the MOST REASONABLY PRICED of any slide tubing and crooks made.

One or two people have already sent condolence emails that it isn't .750" bore, and that it is unacceptable - because it is 4/10mm smaller bore than .750" :lol:

I will bet money this will work better than a .750" bore on a 6/4 or 5/4 tuba.
Rivercity Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Postby YORK-aholic » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:04 pm

Rivercity Tuba wrote:I will bet money this will work better than a .750" bore on a 6/4 or 5/4 tuba.

While you may very well be correct, I have a bunch of .750 tubing and crooks already, while I have no .734 :lol:
Some old Yorks, Martins and maybe a rotary King...
YORK-aholic
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:38 pm

YORK-aholic wrote:While you may very well be correct, I have a bunch of .750 tubing and crooks already, while I have no .734 :lol:

If someone buys the block and wants/needs all new tubing and crooks, I'll order/sell everything needed for cost + shipping + $100 (because it's a bunch of trouble...and you'll probably come back and bug me for something you inadvertently left off your list).

Actually, I probably have a 38K valveset with ragged-out casings but GOOD tubing and crooks (for SALE and ONLY in conjunction with THIS sale).
bloke

Postby Liberty Mo » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:27 pm

PM sent
"Half of the World is Below Average"
Liberty Mo
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:15 pm

I really don't want to order a bunch of stuff from Sonia (at Conn-Selmer) for this.

Let me do THIS:

Here is an old 38K valveset with slightly-worn casings (no caps / no pistons).

I'm willing to sell this WITH the valve block for $200 additional, and you can order any additional .734" bore inside/outside tubing (again, not compatible with this tubing, but compatible with ITSELF), crooks, and braces - for the FOURTH VALVE stuff - through your LOCAL Conn-Selmer dealer from the lady who knows everything at Conn-Selmer, Sonia Rochie. If you buy even more NEW .734" bore inside/outside tubing from your LOCAL Conn-Selmer dealer, you can "un-sousaphone" the #3 loop, and make all the upper return #3 crooks level/straight-across (as with vintage Conn tubas).

Everything here is solid and hardly chinked up at all..

ImageImage
bloke

Postby bloke » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:59 pm

This set of stuff is now sold.

thanks.
bloke

Return to For Sale by Owner