Wessex fullsized EEb tuba with 16 3/4" bell - sold

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Wessex fullsized EEb tuba with 16 3/4" bell - sold

Post by MartyNeilan »

SOLD
Goldbrass bell full sized 3+1 compensating EEb tuba with reduced bell flare for a clearer, more colorful sound. Lacquer stripped to improve response (yes, Joe, it really did 8) ) and developing a nice patina.
This is a great small to medium sized tuba that can be used as a solo or quintet horn with a shallow to medium bowl cup mouthpiece or serve as a small contrabass with a deeper funnel - with a bigger mouthpiece I would put it up against most 3/4 CC or BBb tubas. Unlike some "blah sounding" 19" bell EEb tubas this horn has more color and clarity to the sound. Stripping the lacquer further enhanced this (if you covered your tuba end to end with heavy clear packing tape, it would change the horn - that was the equivalent of what came off.)
The compensating register on this tuba is surprisingly free blowing - low F just rocks. I never found anything stuffy down there.
There was a small dent near the bottom bow when I got it, and my cats knocked a picture off a table onto the bell adding a couple dents in back of the bell - clearly shown in the pictures. Includes Wessex foambody hard case with wheels.

I am selling because I am pursuing the one-tuba route, and I am looking for more of a 4/4+ to 5/4 CC to fill that role - I don't make a living playing tuba solos and probably do about 2 quintets a year. I would not recommend this as a do-all tuba unless the biggest group you play with has several tubas where you will play the top octave. This would however be great in smaller ensembles since the low register is so open, and again it is perfect for quintets or solos - especially when you you want a rock solid low register that some rotary F tubas can't provide.
Despite the "Solo" name give by Wessex, this is the same tuba as their larger EEb right up until the flare of the bell.
More specs at https://wessex-tubas.com/products/eb-co ... solo-te460
Pictures are at https://www.flickr.com/photos/161167695 ... res/v9pMVD
Last edited by MartyNeilan on Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Wessex fullsized EEb tuba with 16 3/4" bell $2000

Post by DouglasJB »

I'm near Clarksville TN, and would love to give this horn a try one day
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Wessex fullsized EEb tuba with 16 3/4" bell - SOLD

Post by MartyNeilan »

Scary stuff, Joe. Since red rot usually starts from the inside, I would question whether the delacquering was the cause, or was it an attempted coverup? Either way, there was a certain “deadness” to this horn that went away when all the “plastic” was peeled off. It went from being a “good” feeling tuba to a “great” feeling tuba. Maybe the difference disappears when you are 50 feet away, but half the joy of playing the tuba is what we hear in our lap.
SOLD
(Technically traded / swapped / bartered, but sold is close enough of an explanation in just 4 letters.)