Maybe WTS -- Alexander 163 CC

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Maybe WTS -- Alexander 163 CC

Post by bort »

Before reading any further, please save me the public teasing or joking, because 1) I do absolutely love this instrument and 2) I could easily keep it forever. However, my playing needs and perhaps even my style are changing a bit, and I'm not convinced that it's the right decision for me to keep it.

I'm still resolving myself to selling it, so it's still a *maybe*... But knowing whether or not there's any interest would make the decision easier.

Here goes:

Silver plated Alex 163 CC, bought through Lee Stofer in March 2020, and has been used sparingly since then, not sure it's ever left my house.

It is an exceptionally fine tuba. Looks and plays like a million bucks, it's incredible.

* Pristine condition
* Silver plate is 98%+
* 16.5" bell
* one small ding, otherwise it's clean
* Lee was impressed by the fit and finish of this, and he did basically nothing to it but clean, shine, and lubricate it. No air leaks, no bad solder joints... This is what an Alexander tuba can be, when it's done right
* 4 valves, which are quick and quiet..Lee thought they may be Hirsbrunner valves, because they are so nice. (the valve paddle bar says "Tryplen", but the valves are metal)
* Glorious, unmistakable Alexander sound, with immediate response and great intonation (not "great for an Alexander" but actually great for anything). You'll need to play 4-valve fingerings down low, but that's not a fault of the tuba, just a function of having 4 valves. The first valve slide has a big comfy pull right, if that's your thing!
* The leadpipe was done by Bob Pallansch a long time ago, a classic Don Harry mod. This is a Miraphone 190 BBb leadpipe, and it eliminates the bad Alexander CC intonation problems.
* New Superfine top-loading gig bag, which is a *slightly* roomy fit girth-wise but the right height. It's a GREAT! bag.

Price would be $6200

Local pickup in Minneapolis, I'm not really wanting to ship!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MAviiy ... p=drivesdk
Wilf.tuba
lurker
lurker

Re: Maybe WTS -- Alexander 163 CC

Post by Wilf.tuba »

If only this was in the UK, I would be all over it! 😥 Great tuba!
Alexander 157 F
Alexander 168 CC/BBb
Alexander 164 BBb C1917
Miraphone 190 CC
Miraphone 190 BBb
Melton 2040/5 EEb
Besson 985 F
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Maybe WTS -- Alexander 163 CC

Post by bort »