SOLD - Boosey & Hawkes Imperial 3+1 Eb Tuba - Just Overhauled!

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
baridrummer
bugler
bugler

SOLD - Boosey & Hawkes Imperial 3+1 Eb Tuba - Just Overhauled!

Post by baridrummer »

I'm selling a 1930's(?) Imperial Compensating 3+1 Eb tuba, completely rebuilt and playing beautifully. (I bought it from Wales.) Intonation is remarkable on this horn. Requires a small-shank mouthpiece, but comes with a Wick mouthpiece that serves it well. Pick up in NYC for $3300 firm (this is barely above breaking even).

Photos and more details at https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/7535157287.html. DM me through that post. Thanks!
Last edited by baridrummer on Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Re: (NYC) Boosey & Hawkes Imperial 3+1 Eb Tuba - Just Overhauled!

Post by arpthark »

Sweet tuba!

Based on the engraving and such I wonder if this instrument is from the 1950s as opposed to the 1930s.

Compare this engraving from 1938: https://simonettitubacollection.com/ins ... ousel-4428

with this engraving from 1952: http://www.tbonesullivan.com/images/tro ... erial2.jpg

The script is the same, but I notice yours is missing the Regent St address, which would lend credence to it being a 1950s tuba as B&H moved production to Edgware Road in 1948.

Not trying to be contrarian, just trying to help the instrument be correctly represented. I am in CT so I am fairly local to you; if I were in the market for an Eb I would be on this! Good luck!
baridrummer
bugler
bugler

Re: (NYC) Boosey & Hawkes Imperial 3+1 Eb Tuba - Just Overhauled!

Post by baridrummer »

(The second photo has no engraving btw.)

Yeah, a couple people on Facebook also insisted that this horn is much newer than the 1930's (and thus a supposedly more valuable instrument) because of its engraving. However, the serial number, particularly its number of digits, indicates a mid-30's vintage -- the restoration tech said 1934 I believe. But it could an entirely different vintage for all I know. Sometimes the serial numbers don't exactly match any of the lists you can find online.

(incidentally, the tuba I'm using most often now is a mediocre German-made York knockoff, so I have a snowball's chance in hell of dating anything from its serial number)