WTT: Miraphone 4v BBb sousaphone for 4v Helicon

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
funkcicle
3 valves
3 valves

WTT: Miraphone 4v BBb sousaphone for 4v Helicon

Post by funkcicle »

I love this horn and am not eager to sell it, but I am looking to solve some ceiling clearance issues while simultaneously lowering my center of gravity. This is a truly fantastic horn, made in Germany, 4 valves, BBb, new springs and valve guides, has a hard case, lacquer in good shape, no major dents, etc.

Ideal trade would be for a 4v BBb helicon of comparable value, I am open to CC and Eb horns as well if the trade made sense. Located in Asheville NC but willing to travel for the right deal. Here's a photo: https://i.imgur.com/U43SLig.jpg
funkcicle
3 valves
3 valves

Re: WTT: Miraphone 4v BBb sousaphone for 4v Helicon

Post by funkcicle »

Asheville is a great place to visit, and an even better place to come home to. I tour about half of each month and I feel blessed to have found a home that feels like a vacation spot every time I return. That horn in Hartford had me racking my brain for a way to get up there, if by some miracle it's still there in February I could justify a trip. I've thought about having this thing converted, that's well beyond my skill set though and I don't even know of anyone in these mountains who does major brass repair/modifications like that. What would a job like that even cost? It's something I'd strongly consider- there's something really special about playing this instrument, I often joke that it's an "orchestral caliber sousaphone" :lol: I have a Cerveny Arion 683 concert tuba, but the tone out of this horn and something about the way it responds feels like it's in a completely different league. Main drawback is that I can't play it standing at a couple of my regular rehearsal spots, and I also have some lower back tenderness that manifests much more quickly with the sousaphone than it does with my friend's helicon.

I suspect also that my center of balance might be off due to lead-pipe not being original, and that this could be contributing to the back strain. I haven't gotten around to ordering a factory lead-pipe + bits due to their extremely high price ($350+ from Badger). Thanks for your thoughtful input!
JPLynd
bugler
bugler

Post by JPLynd »

pm sent :-)
Meinl Weston 5450 "Thor" (Small Bell)
Miraphone Norwegian Star 283 Eb
Wessex CC Helicon

Gone but not forgotten :tuba:
MRP, YEB-321, 45SLZ, 188, 45SLP, 2155, 836, 5450RA, 56J, 853, 46, 410, 201N, 186
funkcicle
3 valves
3 valves

Post by funkcicle »

Bumping this thread a few years later - still hoping to materialize a BBb Helicon in trade for this horn. Will also accept cash offers, asking $4,000 which I believe is well below it's market value. Could deliver just about anywhere on I-81 between Johnson City TN and Watertown NY, or within reasonable distance of Asheville NC.