Sold | Besson 3v Compensating BBb Tuba

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
WakinAZ
Community Band Button-Masher

Sold | Besson 3v Compensating BBb Tuba

Post by WakinAZ »

Sold.
Up for sale is a nice 4/4-size Besson 3v Compensating BBb Tuba. This would be a great horn for a British-style brass band, concert/community band, chamber/church group or brass quintet. The sound, response and scale is great across the range of this horn. There is no inherent "stuffiness", it blows as freely as any tuba of the many I have played.
$1100 + ground shipping.

Pics at
https://photos.app.goo.gl/G9sLV3hPQocgEZ9x8

It is in Good used condition for a horn of its age, appx. 52 years! S/N 458XXX, c. 1968-1969. No case is included.
- Tuba is 39.5" tall with a 17" bell. Heavy, built like a tank.
- It has been professionally ultrasonically cleaned and adjusted with new corks & felts.
- There are multiple scratches, dings/dents and evidence of prior repairs. The major dings/dents are photographed separately - none that affect function/playability.
- The valves still have a decent amount of plating on them, with only the 1st valve showing some minor pitting. The compression is OK, but benefits from using "heavy" or "classic" oils.
- The ball on the bottom bow was removed, and there is a medium-sized dent in that area also. Typical for big tubas that have a few miles on them.
- The lacquer finish is mostly gone, and a nice vintage patina has settled in.
- The V-shaped seam on the bell (pictured) is a manufacturing technique, not a repair.
- There is one small patch on the leadpipe (pictured).

A Denis Wick #2 mouthpiece is included. (Note: these older British horns have a slightly smaller receiver than modern horns. Denis Wick and other makers have a size of mouthpiece shank that will fit these. "Standard/American" or "Euro" shank mouthpieces will not fit properly.)
No case is included.

The Blaikley compensating system automatically adds tubing to make valve combinations more in tune. One limitation/compromise: the range stops at the low E-natural four ledger lines below the bass clef staff. In my decades of playing, this is enough for 95%+ of the literature an amateur musician will encounter. (Truly advanced players can coax out "false" or "privilege" tones in between low-E and the pedal Bb note, but they are not very strong or reliable.)

Ground shipping to CONUS only from Tucson, AZ is $295 via UPS.

Thanks for looking and have a great day!
-Eric L., aka Bob
Last edited by WakinAZ on Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Boomer
bugler
bugler

Re: Besson 3v Compensating BBb Tuba

Post by Boomer »

link to pics is no good
WakinAZ

Post by WakinAZ »

For some reason this site keeps breaking my Craigslist link, so I have put in a Google photos link. If that doesn't get it, please email me at elinthicum at Google's email service, or search Tucson craigslist for "Besson tuba".
Tubatunes53
lurker
lurker

Post by Tubatunes53 »

Hi, if this is still available, please e-mail be at Tubatunes53@gmail.com or text to (304) 638-3796. VERY INTERESTED in getting this for my grandson who is just starting.
1903 Conn Double Bell Euphonium
Miraphone 5050
Miraphone 187 5-valve BBb
Besson 983
WakinAZ

Post by WakinAZ »

I am willing to consider trades for a 4/4 or larger BBb 3v bell front/recording tuba.
:tuba:
WakinAZ

Post by WakinAZ »

$895 or trade
:tuba: :tuba: