SOLD: Meinl Weston 32 / 33 CC tuba FS $3600

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

SOLD: Meinl Weston 32 / 33 CC tuba FS $3600

Post by MartyNeilan »

SOLD

Great 4/4 rotary CC tuba with a dark focused German sound that projects like crazy and doesn't easily break up and a very powerful low register. I put this up for sale last year and had some interest but no firm takers. I have had some more work done on it since, modded it a little myself, and decided that I just don't have a need for a 4/4 CC right now. In addition to cash, I will consider a trade for a 5 valve F tuba PLUS $1,500 going my direction (Cerveny, BMB, etc - no junk).

Vintage Meinl Weston model 33 five valve rotary CC tuba. This is the detachable bell version of the model 32 tuba that won lots of auditions back in the day. This has the compactly wrapped body similar to a 188 but more "core" and does not break up or edge out like a 186 or 188. Sound is dark but very focused and with excellent projection, one player decsribed it as betwen a Miraphone and an Alex. Low end projects twice that of a Chinese 186 clone. .768 bore through all 5 valves, 5th has the flat wholestep straight slide.

About 38" tall and bell has zero pancake at 16 3/8” and about 25 pounds - very solid.

This is somewhat similar to the Bill Bell model but one size larger, a different wrap, better intonation, and a more open low register. Tuning is not quite 188 but very manageable and gets better the more I play it. Pull 1st out for F and push in for D - 1st valve is vented and the slide is trombone fast.

Receiver takes a large Euro shank but I am including an adapter for standard aka American shank. Inside diameter the end of the mouthpiece receiver is .590. This horn likes deep bowl mouthpieces. Tuning slide is Euro pitch (about A443) but can be pulled to make A440.

Includes an Altieri bag with a brand new bell hat.

Horn has been in the shop several times for chem cleaning, dent removal, replacing a missing brace, and other work. I believe there is only a shallow dent remaining on the bottom bow (see pic). All dents in the 4th wrap have now been removed and I sealed a leak in the 4th joint. I removed the "wire" on the top and bottom bow which has done wonders for ergonomics - now I can have it comfortable sit on my lap without 25 pounds pushing a narrow wire into me. Bottom bow dent is also probably easily pulled now that the "wire" is gone. The outside of the horn could use a good clean and polish unless you like it that way (as do I :tuba: )

$3600 firm - that is my absolute bottom line price, cash, PayPal or Venmo with free shipping (lower 48 only) for serious buyers, but I would still prefer you come in person - no long distance trials. I am in Hermitage which is just East of Nashville; I have a vault ceiling in the living room and a pullout couch. Come out and toot on it all you want, if you like take it home. The horn and I should be at the Bobo masterclass on the 31st.

Recent pics below and I can send high-res versions.
MW33Front.jpg
MW33Rear.jpg
MW33Bow.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MartyNeilan on Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Meinl Weston 32 / 33 CC tuba FS $3600

Post by MartyNeilan »

SOLD
Last edited by MartyNeilan on Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Meinl Weston 32 / 33 CC tuba FS $3600

Post by MartyNeilan »

SOLD