MACK 621 CC in quintet/small orchestra?

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

MACK 621 CC in quintet/small orchestra?

Post by eupho »

Does anyone have video they would share of their MACKBRASS 621 CC(16 inch bell in quintet or small orchestra? I am considering purchasing one. I have seen the YouTube demos but I would like to see one in an ensemble. Thanks
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)
dasanchezr
bugler
bugler

Re: MACK 621 CC in quintet/small orchestra?

Post by dasanchezr »

I don't know the Mack first hand, but I've used the Yamaha 621 CC (which is the base of the Mack) in small orchestra settings and chamber music with success, I am sorry I don't have videos to show you, but if you ask me that mack seems like a great option, with a larger bell and for an even better price.
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Post by eupho »

Thanks! I have used a Yamaha 621 in quintet and it does seem that the bigger bell is a plus.
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)
MKTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by MKTuba »

I think that a 3/4 CC in orchestra would definitely not be the typical sound you hear but I see no reason why you shouldn’t at least try it. If you are going for a typical orchestra sound the Mack 421 will be nowhere near large enough, however I think you could still try it with a good chance at success. Back in the day Roger bobo played a Miraphone 184 (if I’m not mistaken) in orchestra and in my opinion sounded great. Definitely bright as all get out (which a lot of people don’t like) but I enjoy it. At the end of the day, if it sounds good, it is good (IMO) and if you aren’t doing this for a professional gig who really cares. It would be a GREAT horn for quintet btw… probably one of the best possible.
B&S 3198 (PT6P)
Wilson 3200s

BM Tuba Performance @ Michigan State