1962 Reynolds recording tuba with upright bell

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
WakinAZ
Community Band Button-Masher

1962 Reynolds recording tuba with upright bell

Post by WakinAZ »

For Sale: Reynolds Contempora 3v BBb Recording Tuba with upright bell. S/N 68###: Manufactured appx. 1962 in Cleveland. Recently professionally serviced and cleaned.
$1395 + $295 ground shipping to CONUS only.
Pics here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/5Zp3wYhwNrsZax6b7
No PMs please: email bobstubahaus@gmail.com

I will not sell the upright bell separately, but I will consider trading it for your forward bell + cash.

Sound:
- This is a large 5/4-size recording bass. The overall sound and response is very similar to the old model King 1241/2341, but a bigger sound. If the King is a 4/4, this is a 5/4.
- The scale is as good or better as any American-made recording tuba, IMO.

Mechanical Condition:
- Valves: As you can see from the pictures the valves still have a decent amount of plating on them. The action is very smooth. The valves have good compression.
- Slides: The slides all move as they should. The first valve slide tuning mechanism is not present. (If this is a big deal to you, I will consider swapping out the mechanism from the other Reynolds horn I have for sale.)
- Leadpipe: The leadpipe on this horn has a patch, is soldered onto the bell stack without the attachment plate/flange, and is bent at an odd upward angle. But never fear, this sale includes an extra leadpipe in better shape with the proper attachment plate. I do not currently have the time or inclination to swap them out. Should be a <$100 repair. I played a concert with the horn with the current leadpipe and a tuning bit to accommodate a proper playing position- it played and sounded just fine; several non-tuba bandmates complimented the sound.

Cosmetic Condition:
- There is evidence of prior repairs, lacquer wear, dents, scratches and dings. The most notable dents are pictured.
- The lacquer finish is worn and shows areas of discoloration.

No case or mouthpiece is included, but if you need a mouthpiece I have several available for purchase. I also have a large Protec gig bag in excellent condition (just a few months old) that fits this horn very nicely available for purchase.

Specs per https://contemporacorner.com/low-brass/bass-tuba/:
Reynolds BB♭ Contempora Tuba (Recording Bass)
Bore: .687"
Bell: 20" detachable upright bell
Weight: 28½ lbs
Height: 46"

Local pickup in Tucson, AZ 85745 or can be ground shipped for $295 to CONUS/Lower 48 US states only - no other countries or other US states/territories, etc.

Thanks for looking.
Last edited by WakinAZ on Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
WakinAZ

Re: 1962 Reynolds recording tuba with upright bell

Post by WakinAZ »

Lower price :tuba:
WakinAZ

Re: 1962 Reynolds recording tuba with upright bell

Post by WakinAZ »

Lowerer price. :tuba: :tuba:
WakinAZ