SOLD: Beautiful Vintage Alexander 155 F tuba $4750

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ckalaher1 »

Up for sale is a very fine example of an Alexander 155 F tuba. The owner was under the impression that this instrument dated from @1954, but as Ted Cox and others have pointed out in this thread, there’s much evidence that points to the tuba being from the 1979’s. Originally, this tuba was a 4+1, but was converted to a 5+0, so all five valves are in the right hand. Current owner-a repair tech-has had the tuba for a couple of decades and taken great mechanical care along the way.

-As seen in the photos, this tuba is in outstanding condition. Much nicer than most examples you’ll find of Alex F’s from this date of manufacture. Leadpipe and small tubing in the valve circuitry are clean and free of any substantial denting. As one would expect, this tuba is in raw brass.

-I had a chance to play the horn for a bit last weekend and used a PT-64 on the tuba. Response in and above the staff is very nice. Horn is in tune with itself; this Alex isn’t “wonky” as they can be

-Response below the staff is MUCH better than I would’ve guessed. The low C is fine and the D and Db right above it are considerably better than most Alex F tubas.

-original linkage has been upgraded to uniball, with the work done by the owner. Valve action is GREAT, and the valves have average compression

-1 small patch exists and is included in the photos

-Receiver is standard, but a PT shank will work fine

-This tuba is extremely lightweight. Would be great for standing or strolling gigs

-Includes a Reunion Blues bag that is in good working condition

Long story short, this is a really nice example. The Alex sound is hard to beat.

The tuba is located in the St. Louis area, and is available for testing through the owner or myself. Obviously, if shipping could be avoided that would be great, but I do have a tuba shipping carton that would work nicely should shipping be a necessity. Fair warning; shipping is not cheap, and the buyer should be prepared to spend at least $300-500 for domestic shipping.

Asking price for the tuba and the bag is SOLD. Respectable offers will be taken into consideration, but will not be considered accepted until the buyer and seller have confirmed the agreed upon price. Acceptable forms of payment include PayPal, Cashier’s Check, or cash. If using PayPal, please add 3% to the agreed upon sale price.

PM with any questions.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zaH5JW29CqenRhPy5
Last edited by ckalaher1 on Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:29 am, edited 9 times in total.
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Re: FS: Beautiful Alexander 155 F tuba @1954. $4750.

Post by ckalaher1 »

Photo link now added.
Ted Cox
pro musician
pro musician

Re: FS: Beautiful Alexander 155 F tuba @1954. $4750

Post by Ted Cox »

For whatever reason, people love to make Alexander tubas older than what they actually are. The description of how this Alex plays I'm sure is exactly true - but the tuba is not as old as 1954. The biggest clue is the serial number stamped on the top of the second valve. Serial numbers didn't appear until 1975. The linkage is also more modern, and looks factory as opposed to something more custom. The other big clue is the engraving on the back caps. I've included a photo of the back caps from my four Alexander tubas. Upper left - 1960 Alex 155. Upper right - 1962 163. Lower left - 1980 163. Lower right - 2004 164. Notice the center of the caps with the engraving detail. The engraving on your back caps is more in line with my 1980 163 and is probably a much closer date of this specific tuba. Finally, I think the price you are asking is too low. 6K is what I'd place on this beautiful instrument.
IMG_0892.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Re: FS: Beautiful Alexander 155 F tuba @1954. $4750

Post by arpthark »

I had a Vienna style Alex from the 50s that also had the center cap engraving.

Not to take anything away from this lovely looking instrument. Great price!
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ckalaher1 »

This tuba has been SOLD.
Last edited by ckalaher1 on Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Re: SOLD: Beautiful Vintage Alexander 155 F tuba $4750

Post by ckalaher1 »

This tuba has been SOLD.
Last edited by ckalaher1 on Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Re: FOR SALE: Beautiful Vintage Alexander 155 F tuba $4750

Post by Sousaswag »

As with anything Casey sells, he won’t steer you wrong. I bought a very fine MRP-C from him a while ago and still love that tuba.

I’m sure this is a wonderful F tuba, and it’s priced really well! I’d buy this any day over the new horns from overseas.

You also get a REALLY nice case with this tuba!

B U M P
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5