Miraphone F tuba - extremely fine condition - SOLD

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Miraphone F tuba - extremely fine condition - SOLD

Post by bort »

Time-capsule?
New Old Stock?
Nearly New?

Whatever you call it, it's a tuba that's in extremely fine condition. A few little tiny things but it's in REALLY nice shape.

For me though, it's a catch and release. :eyes: I actually really REALLY like this tuba, and hate to see it go... but I've got something else coming, and I can't keep them all. :tuba:

First and foremost, this tuba is in 98%+ new condition. I can't stress that enough. It looks and feels almost like a new tuba. A few VERY small things here and there, but very difficult to even photograph... honestly, it's just enough to catch the light and slightly alter the reflection. I've owned MANY tubas, and have never had a brand-new tuba -- this is about the closest that I've ever come to owning a brand-new tuba. To see the smooth, fully-lacquered, and unworn bottom bow of a tuba that is quite a beautiful thing. Overall, the lacquer is almost 100% intact, except for where your LH rests. The rotors are Miraphone-smooth, and the S-linkages are as quick and quiet as anything else I've had. If your memory of S-links is old, slow, and clanky... this is the complete opposite.

Second, as I've mentioned here before, the 5th valve is unusual, because it's the same length as the usual 4th valve. Nobody (not even Miraphone) seems to know why this was done, but I'll say that it's not really as weird as it seems once you start playing in the low range. Personally, I haven't played F tuba very much in the past, and had nothing to unlearn when picking up this tuba. Overall, it seems as good and bad as any other valve tuning system, just "different" in the low register. If I were keeping this tuba, I would have it modified in one of the following ways (although I'm not sure which I'd choose):
* Redo the entire 5th valve tubing to a flat whole step.
* Have the 5th valve tubing cut to be a 23 combo
* Have a longer slide built to convert it to a quint valve (5th valve alone = low Bb)

The tuba is 39" tall and the bell diameter is a little over 15". Bore is .770, non-graduated (i.e., same throughout the entire valve block). Takes a Euro shank mouthpiece. It seems most likely that this was a prototype tuba model leading up to the 181. Nobody seems to know for sure, including Eva @ Miraphone, who didn't have any additional information about it. My best guess is that it was built in 1986. There's no serial number on the tuba, but the numbers stamped on the various valve/linkage parts is "86." Could just be a shop number for that tuba's parts (to keep it separated on the assembly floor), but who knows. I believe this is the same size as the modern 181, however the 181 has a graduated bore. It's definitely not a 180, either, because that is shorter, has a smaller bell, and smaller bore.

Pros:
* 98%+ new condition -- it's gorgeous
* ^ Mechanically, just about perfect
* ^ S-links are virtually new -- as quick and quiet as anything else I've had.
* ^ And those smooooooth Miraphone rotors!
* Full sound that projects like crazy
* Beautiful singing F tuba sound in the mid to upper range
* Low range is all there, and can be made to sound quite full and open.
* I've done just fine with the low C, B, and Bb
* ^ It IS a rotary F tuba. You won't pick it up and blow as hard as you can and make the biggest low C you've ever heard the first time. But if you take a minute to play the low range and realize "I need to do THIS to sound like THAT," it all falls in line after that.

Cons:
* The C in the staff is sharp. I have the 5th valve set to play that note perfectly in tune with the 5th valve, but there are other solutions as well. For me, it hasn't been a major issue, every tuba has something.
* ^ The entire 3rd partial isn't bad for me, just that C needs a little extra attention.
* Not everyone will like the current fifth valve. And not everyone wants a project to modify it.
* ^ Really though -- not a big deal, and here's your opportunity to customize to your liking.
* No kranz (waaah)
* It has a keel (double waaah)

Local pickup only in Minneapolis; however I'm driving to Chicago the 2nd week of October (11-13) and can meet anywhere along the way there.
Sorry, no shipping.

Includes a virtually-new Soundline (European-made) gig bag, which is also quite nice.

Photos to come later today or early tomorrow.

Price is $3,000

bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Miraphone F tuba - extremely fine condition - SOLD

Post by bort »

SOLD