SOLD: Compensating B&H E-flat tuba with interchangeable bells and leadpipes

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
funkhoss
bugler
bugler

SOLD: Compensating B&H E-flat tuba with interchangeable bells and leadpipes

Post by funkhoss »

Update: This tuba is now SOLD. Thanks!

For sale is a Boosey and Hawkes four valve compensating E-flat tuba with three interchangeable bells and two interchangeable leadpipes. This instrument plays extremely well, can produce a broad variety of different tuba sounds, and is just about as close as one can get to "one tuba that can do everything."

You can read about the development of this tuba HERE. Pictures can be found HERE.

This instrument started as a 1955 15" bell B&H compensating E-flat tuba (in high pitch, for more tuning flexibility). I cut the original bell and fitted it with parts from a King 1240: a female receiver on the stem, and a male tenon on the flare. This allows the original bell to still be used, but also permits the user to attach King bells as well. It comes with both a 22" upright bell and a 22" recording bell. The King bells have a larger throat than the B&H bell (larger too than 19" B&H/Besson bells, which are basically the same as the 15" bell but with more "pancake"), and they are also a few inches taller (which has the effect of making the bottom bow "bigger" acoustically). The King bells give the horn even more of a "contrabass" character than a standard 19" bell compensating tuba would have. Combine this with the fact that the instrument has also been converted to interchangeable leadpipes (having the original narrow Imperial leadpipe with an American receiver and a modified extra-wide 981 leadpipe with a custom extra-large receiver), it is now basically two (or three) tubas in one:

-15" bell, narrow leadpipe, shallow mouthpiece="bass tuba" feel and sound
-22" bell, wide leadpipe, deep mouthpiece="contrabass tuba" feel and sound (in upright OR recording configuration)

The custom extra-large receiver could be easily and inexpensively swapped for a standard American-shank Besson receiver, but it really does play better with the larger shank. I have a custom Doug Elliott setup that works fantastically well with the large leadpipe and bell that I can include, if the buyer wishes. Doug can make a rim in any size and style to suit one's taste, or Houser/Sellmansberger rims also screw on to Doug's cups.

Other more minor modifications include an extended compensating third valve slide for better low register intonation, a grime gutter under the valves, and extra water keys placed in strategic locations. The valves have also been precision aligned with rubber o-rings.

Overall, the instrument looks like a well-used frankenhorn...but it's in solid mechanical condition. The valves seal well, there are no leaks elsewhere on the instrument, and there are no major dents. The 15" bell is actually from a 1925 model tuba and has beautiful engraving; there's a small 2-3" crack at the bell rim (pictured) that has been solidified with solder but doesn't affect playing. The King bells are in good shape.

It has remarkably good, "point and shoot" intonation--the upper register is NOT flat, as is the case with so many other compensating E-flat tubas. The low register also is not "stuffy," but responds nicely with a full sound. This is the perfect instrument for a euphonium or trombone player who wants to double on tuba, as it's so versatile and easy to play. You can get a contrabass tuba sound with bass tuba response and accuracy.

It comes with a like-new Protec gig bag that fits the horn in any of the three bell configurations, two King bell hard cases, and a heavy-duty tuba stand.

Asking $4200. Instrument is located in Edinburg, VA. Again, pics can be found HERE. Please email with questions: funkhoss@gmail.com

Thanks for looking!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by funkhoss on Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Re: FS: Compensating B&H E-flat tuba with interchangeable bells and leadpipes

Post by barry grrr-ero »

This is very cool. All the cool tubas for sale are always in the Midwest or back East. If I were in your hood, I'd love to come try this.
funkhoss
bugler
bugler

Post by funkhoss »

Fall foliage will be upon us in a few weeks. It's a great time for a road trip! :mrgreen:
funkhoss
bugler
bugler

Post by funkhoss »

Bump.

Feel free to make an offer!
funkhoss
bugler
bugler

Post by funkhoss »

This tuba is still available. Make me an offer!

I'd also consider trades (or partial trades, depending on value) for a bass trombone or Martin 6/4 B-flat tuba.
funkhoss
bugler
bugler

Post by funkhoss »

For those of you going to the Army conference next weekend: where I live is only an hour and a half drive from Fort Myer. You'd be welcome to stop by and try out this tuba; I'd also be willing to bring it to the conference for a committed buyer. (I'm not planning to be there otherwise.)

I just wanted to point out this possibility!