Kanstul 5490 5/4 CC $6000 Negotiable

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
notverycreative
lurker
lurker

Kanstul 5490 5/4 CC $6000 Negotiable

Post by notverycreative »

Hi all,

Up for sale once again is my Kanstul 5490 CC. I've looked for trades in the past, however I am looking to sell right now. Price is $6000; however, I will consider offers. You can get a deal on a great horn! Located in VA, USA.

The great: This horn has a huge sound. I would consider it comparable to many 6/4 horns while not being quite as physically large. The valve action is responsive, quick, and very short. The low register is amazing, and the upper register is very manageable. This is the sort of horn that can compete with any of the popular 6/4 orchestral horns at a fraction of the price.

The not so great: Firstly, Kanstul is out of business. Which may make it difficult to find specific parts. However, my local repairman has fared extremely well working on the horn given the circumstances. The detachable valve section is no longer detachable because the mechanism completely broke on me. My repairman soldered the connections so that is no longer a possibility. This horn is also quite heavy, one of the heaviest tubas I've ever played. Lastly, the tuning can be a bit squirrely. After some research, it seems that many large C tubas face the same tuning issues which are all manageable with a little slide pulling (of which all of the valve tuning slides are reachable).

The reason I have chosen this price is because it's basically what I paid for the horn. I know this horn is going to be quite hard to sell since Kanstul is out of business, but I am willing to work with the right person for the right price. This is a wonderful horn and I believe that somebody will be getting a steal.

Oh, and it comes with a Tuba World gig bag.

Below will be a link to pictures. Feel free to DM me if you would like more information or playing examples.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... drive_link

Cheers!
TwoAxe
lurker
lurker

Re: Kanstul 5490 5/4 CC $6000 Negotiable

Post by TwoAxe »

BAC in Kansas City has acquired Kanstul properties as well as their machining. They would be able to help.
circusboy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by circusboy »

Beautiful horn.
christiantaylor
lurker
lurker

Post by christiantaylor »

I used to own a Kanstul 5490 that I sold on here a couple months ago. Great horns for a great price. One of the best sounding horns you can buy especially for the money. It does seem like your horn is from an earlier batch like mine but to be honest they are the best version of the horn.
Unclemustash
lurker
lurker

Post by Unclemustash »

Pm sent
Reptilian
bugler
bugler

Post by Reptilian »

christiantaylor wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:29 pm I used to own a Kanstul 5490 that I sold on here a couple months ago. Great horns for a great price. One of the best sounding horns you can buy especially for the money. It does seem like your horn is from an earlier batch like mine but to be honest they are the best version of the horn.
This configuration actually came later, and I agree they are the better horns.

As an aside, It's mind-blowing to me that a horn of this caliber is only 6K. The sound is incredible and they are super easy to play. As far as the tuning, any horn this size is going to have some pulls. No biggie.

Hope this one finds a deserving home.