Yamaha 321 Eb Tuba, Aftermarket 1 step 5th Valve: $2800 or Trade (Traded)

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
daktx2
bugler
bugler

Yamaha 321 Eb Tuba, Aftermarket 1 step 5th Valve: $2800 or Trade (Traded)

Post by daktx2 »

I am putting my Yamaha 321 Eb tuba with added whole step fifth valve up for sale, asking price is $2800. I could also be interested in a trade for the right contrabass tuba, 4 or 5 valve C or Bb (+ or - cash depending on the tuba, make me an offer). A beat up, original hard case is included, and I am located in suburban Chicago. I'm open to shipping, at buyers expense, and am willing to drive to facilitate a sale.

This particular horn has been through a lot! It started life as a sliver, 4 valve Eb tuba. Before the horn came into my possession, two things were done to it, but in what order I cannot say. First the bad: this horn was dented up pretty significantly. These were straightened out some, but cosmetically, there are definitely imperfections that I've tried to capture in the images at the end of this post. Luckily, the valves seem to have been spared, as the compression is very good, but the slide alignment for the third and second slides are not great, and they require a ton of force to move. Onto the good: a previous owner converted this into a Yamaha 381 using original parts (a long half step dependent rotor). Once the horn came into my possession, I had the instrument cleaned and had my repairman (at the time, John Thomas in Santa Cruz) add length to the fifth valve slide to make it a long whole step, which make this instrument fully chromatic.

As far as playing characteristics are concerned, this is a really fun Eb tuba! Intonation is really good. I use 1+2, 2+3, and 1+3 for G, Gb, and F at the top of the staff, and for whatever reason, 3 works better than 1+2 for bottom line G. I use no other alternate fingerings with this instrument. Tone quality is pretty typical for these English style instruments, a really nice, round, tubby sound. This has a 15 inch bell as opposed to a modern Besson / Jinbao Eb's 19 inch bell. The small bell give you the ability to add a bit of "Fist" to the sound when the occasion calls for it. But don't be fooled, the projection and sheer loudness of these tubas is no joke! I don't feel outgunned in a orchestra using this for louder pieces.

Since people usually ask about mouthpieces, the Sellmansberger Imperial is an AWESOME match, and a Helleberg 7b is pretty good too. However, this horn is truly awful when played with a small bowl shaped mouthpiece like a PT 64, be forewarned!

I can be contacted on this board, or at daktx2 at gmail dot com. Pics below, thanks for reading!

Last edited by daktx2 on Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Weltklang B&S Symphonie F tuba
Bohm and Meinl 5520 C tuba
daktx2
bugler
bugler

Re: Yamaha 321 Eb Tuba, Aftermarket 1 step 5th Valve: $3000 or Trade

Post by daktx2 »

We've had some tire kicking but no nibbles yet!

For awareness, I'm willing to drive a pretty good distance from Chicago to facilitate a sale. I'll also be in Houston next week, and New York in mid November, so I could bring the instrument to a firm buyer in either location.

This is just to say, *bump*
daktx2
bugler
bugler

Post by daktx2 »

I just got done playing a good friend's ~80 year old 15 inch bell Besson compensating Eb, with a fresh Dan Oberloh valve job (which was worth every penny!). Since the Yamaha is basically a copy, I thought I'd give a comparison (and a natural bump).

In the middle-upper register, these two instruments play very similarly. The Yamaha might have 3% less sweet a sound, but is able to be pushed harder / louder without breaking up. In the low register, there's a big difference. The Yamaha is a significantly easier / C tuba like blow, likely because you don't have to go through the compensating loop.

I'd probably prefer the Besson in something like an old time jazz group, first part in a tuba quartet, etc., but I think I'd take the Yamaha in an orchestra or for general purpose brass quintet use.

Feel free to make me an offer!
daktx2
bugler
bugler

Post by daktx2 »

November bump + price drop.
sprossen
lurker
lurker

Re: Yamaha 321 Eb Tuba, Aftermarket 1 step 5th Valve: $2800 or Trade (PENDING TRADE)

Post by sprossen »

Hey, I am interested in this horn. I will be back in Chicago Dec. 27 until about Jan. 2, will you be around? I could come by and give it a try.
Crozet Duplantier
318-676-8958
daktx2
bugler
bugler

Re: Yamaha 321 Eb Tuba, Aftermarket 1 step 5th Valve: $2800 or Trade (PENDING TRADE)

Post by daktx2 »

Hi Crozet, I have a trade arranged already. In the unlikely event that falls through, I'll reach out, but this horn is likely spoken for. Thanks!
Last edited by daktx2 on Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
sprossen
lurker
lurker

Post by sprossen »

Thanks for getting back.