SOLD

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Andy Smith
bugler
bugler

SOLD

Post by Andy Smith »

Up for sale is a stellar Meinl Weston Fafner.

I purchased this horn in January of 2020 for the looming ring cycle at the Lyric Opera of Chicago. Unfortunately, due to Covid, this horn never was used for it’s intended purpose. However, since that time I’ve used this horn extensively with the Lyric Opera and with the Grant Park Orchestra.

This is one of the absolute best BBb tubas I’ve ever played. Every brass section I’ve played it in seems to prefer this horn to anything else I play! It is far and away the most in tune tuba I’ve ever owned. Very minimal slide pulling needed aside from the obvious pulling needed for the extreme low register with only four valves. As shown in the pictures, I’ve had a custom adjustable slide pull out onto the first valve to help with reaching the slide.

If you want to absolutely shake the walls of any room you play in, this is the horn for it. It has a huge, warm, Germanic sound that can be easily manipulated to fit the moment.

The horn has minor cosmetic wear as shown in the pictures. Some lacquer wear and a few small dents which make absolutely no difference in how the instrument plays. In addition to the first valve pull, I’ve also had a Saturn water key installed, as well as a small water key in the fourth valve tubing in the back which makes emptying the fourth much more convenient.

The only reason I’m selling this stellar horn is that I’ve found my white whale of BBb tubas and I can’t justify keeping two around. Asking price is $9000 and includes an MTS hard case. The horn is located in the southwest suburbs of Chicago. I’m very leery of shipping tubas, but I would be happy to drive a couple of hours to meet interested parties.

I would also be interested in a trade for a good rotary PT6 if anyone is interested!

Pictures are here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... w3JWPdHDkn

If interested, message me here or email me at Andy dot Lutz dot Smith at gmail.com
Last edited by Andy Smith on Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Andy Smith
Lyric Opera of Chicago
Grant Park Orchestra
The University of Wisconsin Milwaukee
joshwirt
pro musician
pro musician

Re: FS: Meinl Weston 195 “Fafner” BBb

Post by joshwirt »

Seriously great instrument. Everything Andy said is spot on. The best way to describe the sound this horn makes is SEISMIC! GREAT pitch, tone, blow. It’s all there.

JW
Elmhurst University - Applied Professor of Tuba/Euphonium
Elmhurst Symphony - Principal Tuba
Wintergreen Music Festival - Principal Tuba
New Chicago Brass
Ottava Quartet
Andy Smith
bugler
bugler

Re: FS/FT:Meinl Weston 195 “Fafner” BBb price drop, for trade added

Post by Andy Smith »

Bump