Vintage (1930's) Martin MAMMOTH 6/4 tuba + EXTRAS!!!

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Pneumatic Subwoofer
lurker
lurker

Vintage (1930's) Martin MAMMOTH 6/4 tuba + EXTRAS!!!

Post by Pneumatic Subwoofer »

Vintage Martin Mammoth Tuba

EDIT!!!!

This instrument is one of Martin's HANDCRAFT (i. e., top-of-the-line units assembled by their senior craftsmen).

Approx build date: 1934

Silver

Beautiful, GREAT sounding instrument and it is a MAMMOTH for sure!

6/4 size or comparable to a CONN 20J.

Recording bell.

Approximately $1k in extras which include:

~ Three mouthpieces

~ Custom gig bags by Altieri of Denver for both the body and bell (Only used a couple of times so no wear on the bags.)

~ Custom hardwood (100% clear maple) stand. I never found a commercially available stand capable of safely supporting a tuba of this size.

Pics can now be seen on Denver Craigslist. (The photos were taken in an area with lots of dark wood so the silver reflects a lot of the wood color but it is SILVER!

Listed there at $2950 including all the extras. $2750 for anyone here.
Last edited by Pneumatic Subwoofer on Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Mammoth. Think of it as the Vincent Black Shadow of tubas.
OhioTubaGuy
lurker
lurker

Re: Vintage (1930's) Martin MAMMOTH 6/4 tuba + EXTRAS!!!

Post by OhioTubaGuy »

I think I found the listing. That horn looks like it is in terrific condition!

https://denver.craigslist.org/msg/d/den ... 81104.html
OhioTubaGuy
Gnagey/Martin Mammoth BBb
King BBb sousaphone
Pneumatic Subwoofer
lurker
lurker

Yes, that's the one. Thanks for the bump and it IS in great shape AND it is still available.

ALSO NOTE: It is a HANDCRAFT Model.

The HANDCRAFT designation was used by Martin for their pre-war top-of-the-line instruments. From what I can gather, their best craftsmen were assigned to the more expensive Handcraft line. The original listing here has been edited to reflect same.
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

What are the chances 2 Martin Mammoths would be right next to each other on the page :D .
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

That is a seriously nice silver horn!!!! Kind of reminds me of the 22J I had with the front action valves .
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
Pneumatic Subwoofer
lurker
lurker

This instrument is still available but the old CL posting expired. Here is the new link

https://denver.craigslist.org/msg/d/den ... 53961.html