FS: 1980 Boosey & Hawkes "round stamp" Sovereign euphonium - All original in nice condition

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
BelgianEupher
lurker
lurker

FS: 1980 Boosey & Hawkes "round stamp" Sovereign euphonium - All original in nice condition

Post by BelgianEupher »

Hello everyone,

I am putting up this lovely silverplated Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign euphonium up for sale, this is an example of the first series of Sovereign euphoniums produced by the late Boosey & Hawkes London factory. The serial 658xxx indicates that this is an early 1980's horn.

This particular instrument came into my possession through the grandson of the late first owner, who was an active musician in a Flemisch "fanfare" orchestra for many years. It was his wish that the instrument continued to be played in memory of his grandfather. I did my part to fulfill this wish, but time has come to send this great instrument to it's next owner/player.

The instrument is in overall good to very good condition. Silverplate is at around 95% present, with some loss on the slides, a small patch on the bottom bow and under the false piece where the right thumb rests.

In correspondance with the age, there are plenty of dents as you can see on the pictures. The most noticeable imperfection would be the flatspot-ish dent under the leadpipe, but even that is hardly bigger than a coin. The majority of dents are located in the bell section so they are reachable to a technician if you choose to get them removed. There are no traces of soldering, dentwork or any other repair present.

Valves are in very good condition, notes slot nicely and the first valve slide still "pops" when taking it out. I prefer to use J. Meinlschmidt No 3 (the earlier Hetman Classic oil).

This horn still sports original metal tacquet-style valve guides in an effort to keep everything original, nylon tacquets are available and a simple and popular modification. Also worth mentioning is that the original valve gutter is also present.

The horn comes in it's original blue hardwood case in good condition with the original Denis Wich 4AL "old style" mouthpiece in silverplate.

Asking €3500, that translates to roughly $3800. I am open to offers as I am not quite sure what the market for these vintage sovereigns is at the moment. Shipping is no issue at buyers expense. Don't hesitate to reach out or post questions in this thread.

More pictures are available through: https://photos.app.goo.gl/6DSWTeAMXSr2ExXJ7

If you're interested behind the history of these instruments be sure to check my thread I posted some time ago: https://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthrea ... amp-review