Bohm and Meinl 5520 C Tuba, 4 Valves Marzan Style, $2200 (SOLD)

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
daktx2
bugler
bugler

Bohm and Meinl 5520 C Tuba, 4 Valves Marzan Style, $2200 (SOLD)

Post by daktx2 »

I have a Bohm and Meinl 5520C tuba for sale. This is a 4 piston valve, big tuba. The bell is about 20 inches, and the bore is .750, making this a significantly bigger tuba than a Conn 56j / Eastman 632. It's really easy to make a huge sound! A beat up Tuba Exchange branded gig bag is included, and I am located in suburban Chicago. I am willing to drive to facilitate a sale, and would be willing to ship, though with the huge bell, it'd likely be expensive. The bell has definitely been rolled out at some point, and there are several, medium sized dents in the bottom bow. The horn was recently cleaned by Dana Hofer. The right trade for a more German style C or Bb tuba might be of interest to me as well.

Several modifications have been made to the horn. Numerous Saturn water keys have been added. A slide pull ring has been installed on the second valve. And all 4 pistons have been vented, allowing for silent slide pulls that don't affect your airstream.

Playing characteristics are typical of these horns. With the big bore, it can really move the Earth, with a pretty, American sound. It is extremely responsive for a horn of its size, and is capable of being played extremely loudly without breaking up. Low register is huge!

Intonation is alright, but not perfect. The main problem is that the D and Db in the staff are flat, which can be addressed by pushing the main tuning slide in. Slots are very wide as well. For low register notes, the upward facing fourth and main tuning slides make a fifth valve not as necessary. 2+4 can be easily pulled to put F# in tune, 1 4 pull and 234 push make F and E in tune, and 134 with a pull makes Eb in tune. I like a Sellmansberger imperial with the cup extender a lot more than a Helleberg on this tuba, and a PT88 works great too.

I can be contacted on this forum or at d a k t x 2 [at] g m a i l . com

Last edited by daktx2 on Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:56 am, edited 6 times in total.
Weltklang B&S Symphonie F tuba
Bohm and Meinl 5520 C tuba
daktx2
bugler
bugler

Re: Bohm and Meinl 5520 C Tuba, 4 Valves Marzan Style, $3300

Post by daktx2 »

Back from cleaning bump!
daktx2
bugler
bugler

Re: Bohm and Meinl 5520 C Tuba, 4 Valves Marzan Style, $2900

Post by daktx2 »

Price drop bump + 1 more piece of information: this tuba has a removable leadpipe. I've been informed that these tubas used to come with two pipes, a larger and a smaller one. This tuba is only sold with the larger of the two.
daktx2
bugler
bugler

Re: Bohm and Meinl 5520 C Tuba, 4 Valves Marzan Style, $2900

Post by daktx2 »

Make me an offer, the worst I could do is say no!
daktx2
bugler
bugler

Re: Bohm and Meinl 5520 C Tuba, 4 Valves Marzan Style, $2200

Post by daktx2 »

Price drop bump! Interesting trades considered!