FS: Conn Eb tuba 14J Elkhart 1959 "Naked Lady" - $750

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
cortmarshal
lurker
lurker

FS: Conn Eb tuba 14J Elkhart 1959 "Naked Lady" - $750

Post by cortmarshal »

Cross posted from trombonechat, as tuba is just a fleeting double for me.

1959 Conn Eb tuba that I believe to be a 14J, though there's no model markings on it. Has the Elkhart Naked Lady engraving, serial number on the valves reads 789xxx.

Bought mid last year, used for tubasummer and tubachristmas and now I've had my kicks and want to move it on to someone else.

Quite easy to play as a double for a trombone player. Perfect for first tuba part of the above mentioned choirs, though the false tone Ab partial between Low A to Pedal Eb speaks really well so it's fully chromatic. And bonus party trick is it uses Bb treble fingerings when reading bass clef, so it's pick-up and play if you can know your way around Bb valves. Just watch out for accidentals/keys if you're thinking about it that way.

16" bell, 32" tall, valve tubing measures 0.625" bore. It takes the smaller Eb shank mouthpieces, similar to bass trombone. Mouthpiece receiver on the left side like a euph/baritone. Very ergonomic and has rings for a strap.

All slides move freely, valves are fantastic. No leaks, though it may need a new water key cork soon. Minimal dents, and mostly original lacquer in great condition though it does show wear, the bell has been rolled out and relacquered, and maybe the receiver/leadpipe has been worked on as some spots are a bit darker than the rest of the horn. I had it professionally cleaned when I bought it and probably played it less than 50 hours total since then.

Only slight concern is it's just barely in-tune for me with the MTS all the way in, and in the summer sun 4th space G couldn't quite be lipped up to pitch on long notes. You may want to have it cut, especially if you're going to a bigger mouthpiece (any of the Wick "no L" pieces will fit), but I was able to just make do.

Asking $750

Including Denis Wick 4 mpc that makes a really nice sound, no other accessories.
Paypal or cash accepted. Will drive up to 250 miles from Warren, OH to meet the buyer. Not willing to ship at this time.

More pictures here:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/vid1tkxu ... snba8&dl=0
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cortmarshal on Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cortmarshal
lurker
lurker

Re: FS: Conn Eb tuba 14J Elkhart 1959 "Naked Lady" - $1200

Post by cortmarshal »

Price lowered.

Now just $1000
cortmarshal
lurker
lurker

Re: FS: Conn Eb tuba 14J Elkhart 1959 "Naked Lady" - $1000

Post by cortmarshal »