*SOLD* FS: Miraphone 291 Bruckner CC Tuba

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
RamonGJr
bugler
bugler

*SOLD* FS: Miraphone 291 Bruckner CC Tuba

Post by RamonGJr »

EDIT: On Hold as of February 28

Sale Details:

USED Miraphone 291 Bruckner CC Tuba. Includes a fairly worn but still perfectly functioning Miraphone gig bag, an MTS flight case, and an additional main tuning slide. Firm price: $8500. The instrument is located around Houston, TX. I am willing to ship at buyer's expense, but do anticipate that it will add several hundred dollars to the cost and I am not willing to lower my asking price. I am also willing to drive a considerable distance to sell, but gas compensation is expected and will be calculated prior to meeting. Play tests can be arranged locally. Instrument will be professionally cleaned and serviced at my own expense prior to finalizing sale.

Additional Details:

If I recall correctly, I am the third owner of this instrument, and I purchased it from Alex Lapins in 2015. It has had its fair share of cosmetic wear (lacquer, scratches, and dings) over the years, certainly (I have included some pictures for transparency), but the fact is that this is an incredible horn and frankly the best Bruckner I have played (I always try them at conferences and if friends own them, and none have ever compared).
The 1st and 4th valves are vented also.

When I bought it, it had a badly-designed main tuning slide trigger that had been added by the first owner and that I have since had removed. I also found that the instrument played flat for my playing style, even with the slide all the way in, so I bought and currently use a shortened main tuning slide from Miraphone. Both slides are included in this sale.

The aforementioned MTS flight case is a nice tight fit for the instrument. I bought it from Diego Stine, who bought it from Cristina Cutts-Dougherty. Again, cosmetically not beautiful, but a great case nevertheless. (Pictures upon request)

This is truly a do-it-all instrument. I won the Tuba Student division of Falcone with it in 2015 after only having it for a few months, have played it in many chamber and large ensemble settings, advanced at a professional audition with it, and I recall that Alex Lapins played it when subbing with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra in the past.

Why I Am Selling:

It is an incredibly hard decision... I truly do NOT want to sell it, because I absolutely love this instrument. There is only one model of tuba (no longer in production) that I have tried that I preferred to this instrument, but the ones I liked were not for sale, and the ones for sale, I traveled all over the country to try them and did not like any enough to justify replacing this instrument. I tried enough to figure out the specific serial number range of the ones I liked/disliked, and I now have tried and have the opportunity to buy one, but unfortunately have to sell this first. In a perfect world, I would have both, but alas...

I am happy to answer any questions and send additional photos/recordings upon request. Email: ramon.garavito.jr AT gmail.com

Photos: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... fKZowhFSrl
Last edited by RamonGJr on Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ramón Garavito, Jr.
Instructor of Tuba & Euphonium
Blinn College
Miraphone 291 Bruckner CC
Custom Yamaha YFB-621 w/ 821 Bell (Sam Pilafian Design)
[Feel free to ask about it!]
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Re: FS: Miraphone 291 Bruckner CC Tuba

Post by tclements »

Alex bought this tuba from me. It is a WONDERFUL instrument and can wholeheartedly endorse the quality of this tuba. And, gee, I LIKED the trigger; it was constructed from parts I got from Miraphone.
RamonGJr
bugler
bugler

Post by RamonGJr »

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the input! Sorry for the shade on the trigger - it certainly worked, but was too intrusive for my taste and the way the joints were, there was a bit of play before the trigger would respond (which very well could have been from age and wear of the mechanism). In the end, it made sense to remove it once I replaced the main tuning slide since there was a solder point for it on the main.

A great instrument though - it hurts to let it go!
Ramón Garavito, Jr.
Instructor of Tuba & Euphonium
Blinn College
Miraphone 291 Bruckner CC
Custom Yamaha YFB-621 w/ 821 Bell (Sam Pilafian Design)
[Feel free to ask about it!]
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by tclements »

When the trigger was installed, it was very well constructed, and worked flawlessly, smoothly. I'm sorry it wasn't in that shape when you got it. Honestly, I needed it only on a few notes: 4&5 low F, 1&2 Es and As, 2345 low D, and as a fine tuner what the orchestra's pitch 'floated.'