Meinl Weston 46 - 6 valve F tuba

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
alanh
lurker
lurker

Meinl Weston 46 - 6 valve F tuba

Post by alanh »

For sale is a Meinl Weston 46 F tuba. This horn was made in sometime in the 80s. On the bell is engraved "W Meinl Weston A Division of Getzen" and "West Germany" is stamped on the leadpipe. This instrument is located in Tucson, Arizona. Asking $5,000 USD.

Six valves (4+2). The top valve in the left hand is a half step, and the bottom one is a whole step. I've found that these two valves are not as flat as modern 5th and 6th valves, but there are lots of options for experimenting with alternate fingerings.

The middle and high register on this horn have amazing tone and core. Like other rotary F tubas of it's vintage, you will find that the low register on this instrument takes some getting used to.

Cosmetically the horn is in great shape for its age. Very few scratches, some small dings, and no major dents. There is some sign of repair at the end of the leadpipe, where a leak was soldered, and the original water key was replaced with a Saturn water key. I have the original water key that can be soldered back on. Valves are smooth and quick and all slides move easily.

There is one minor repair needed. The first valve rotor screw head is broken off, but the valve still functions fine. If desired, I can have this repaired as well as have the horn ultrasonic cleaned by a trusted tech in town before sale.

Included with the horn is a gig bag and hard case. I will also include two mouthpieces - one is the original that came with the horn. It is stamped "Meinl Weston #22 made in West Germany". The plating is long gone, so it would need to be replated to be usable. The other is a PT-65-XS (extra small shank, as modern mouthpiece shanks tend to be too big).

I am happy to discuss the intricacies of this instrument with a prospective buyer or provide more photos. Play tests are welcome locally. Pickup is preferred and I am willing to drive a reasonable distance to meet a committed buyer. I am open to fair offers and and may consider a trade. Instrument is located in Tucson, Arizona.

Link to pictures: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... drive_link

Please email me if you are interested. I do not check PMs on this site.
alan.honeker@gmail.com