SOLD: Satin silver Conn 28k 4v Eb sousaphone, $1,200

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

SOLD: Satin silver Conn 28k 4v Eb sousaphone, $1,200

Post by arpthark »

edit: SOLD, thanks!

I am selling my Conn 28K four valve Eb sousaphone that dates to approx. 1938. "Naked Lady"/"Lady Face" engraving with late Art Deco style accents. Bell is also engraved "US" which makes me think this was a military band horn.

Finish is satin silver and the bell was likely gold wash at some point but that has worn away. Overall silver plating is about 99% with some wear seen on contact points and valve slides. The second valve slide has a small patch on it. One bell screw and flange is missing. Sorry, but no neck or bits -- I share one (lacquered) set between this and my other sousaphone, so if you wanted to get closer to original, you could try to source a silver set and satinize it. There is a dent in the bottom bow that needs to be addressed. If this doesn't sell soon, I can get that worked on this summer.

Piston plating is close to 100%. The first valve is a replacement, but I have not found that to be detrimental.

Plays great if a little low (I have main slide all the way in to get up to pitch). Great sound, very punchy low range. I am only selling because I prefer my (lighter!) 36K. I've found intonation to be pretty decent, but this would be a killer horn with a top facing 1st slide.

Asking $1,200. Local pickup in southeastern CT or we can meet up in New England or the NYC metro area. I can also bring this on my trip down to Richmond, VA on March 28-30 if you'd like to meet up then. Can also potentially arrange shipping but plan on it being rather expensive.

Thanks! PM or email beanhillbrass at gmail.

Last edited by arpthark on Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
OhioTubaGuy
lurker
lurker

Re: FS: Satin silver Conn 28k 4v Eb sousaphone, $1,200

Post by OhioTubaGuy »

That looks nice. Surprised it wasn’t swooped up already!
OhioTubaGuy
Gnagey/Martin Mammoth BBb
King BBb sousaphone
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Re: FS: Satin silver Conn 28k 4v Eb sousaphone, $1,200

Post by arpthark »

Please, swoop away!