FS: Scherzer (Inh. Sander) CC tuba

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
anotherjtm2
3 valves
3 valves

FS: Scherzer (Inh. Sander) CC tuba

Post by anotherjtm2 »

This lovely interesting tuba should be played more than I'm playing it, so it's up for sale.

$2800. I'm near Austin, Texas, and would love a local sale, but there's a hard case and I can ship it.

This is a compact 4/4 rotary four valve C tuba. It's fun and plays easily. It's in tune with itself. I play the open 5th partial (E) with 1-2, but Eb is fine with either 2 or 2-3 (like a 186).

Robert Tucci graciously looked at a few pictures, recalled some memories of the 1960s and '70s, and said his opinion was that it seems to be "a genuine Scherzer instrument, not something put together from available parts." Also, this:
Your instrument looks like something made in the mid- to late Sixties. Fred Marrch, the deceased former owner of the old Custom Music Company, was one of the first American dealer/buyers who worked into Europe. At one time or other, Fred was imporing "Alexander" and also genuine "Scherzer" tubas. The Scherzer instruments were all either one-offs or in very small quantities.

Mechanically it's in great condition. It used to have S-links that have been replace by sturdy DuBro connectors. The valves are light and fast. The slides all move easily. I had the main tuning slide extended a little since I was always pulling it out to the limit, and I'll include the old slide tubes.

There are little scratches and some nicks and tiny dents. If it's been refinished, it was a long time ago.

Here's the sale listing where I bought it in 2020. That thread has discussion about how nice an instrument it must be, though it's a little hard to be sure if everyone was talking about the same instrument, since "Scherzer" and variations on "Sander" seem to have appeared in many places. After I got it, I thought it mysterious enough that there's also this thread with guesses about the instrument's origin.

There's a hard case. I'm just noticing (since I haven't used it) that the bell portion on the top is not as solid as you'd like. It still looks like great protection for shipping.

This tuba is compact like a Miraphone 188 (on the left in this picture). The bore is 19mm through the valves, and about 19.5mm at the main tuning slide (both sides). So the bore all the way through is a little smaller than the 188, the 420mm bell is smaller, but the picture makes the bell throat look almost as big. And somehow the Scherzer has a deeper tone than the 188; it's sweeter and less brassy (for me).

And here it is next to a B&S Symphonie. Same size bell, but it definitely sounds more like a contrabass than the F tuba. I used the Scherzer for Eb parts in brass band before I switched to an F tuba, and it did nicely.

John Morris
- 1960s CC Scherzer/Sander
anotherjtm2
3 valves
3 valves

Re: FS: Scherzer (Inh. Sander) CC tuba

Post by anotherjtm2 »

bump, with a new friendlier price.
John Morris
- 1960s CC Scherzer/Sander