Olds 0-99-4 BBb Tuba For Sale

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
WakinAZ
Community Band Button-Masher

Olds 0-99-4 BBb Tuba For Sale

Post by WakinAZ »

Olds 0-99-4, four-valve BBb tuba. Serial number A246##, made in Fullerton in c. 1978. $1895 OBAO. $195 ground shipping to CONUS from Tucson, AZ is available.

Photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wiNSxeGFxUXFnNBo9

Nice playing "medium-size" tuba. Olds never gave these a size designation, but they seem to fall somewhere between a 4/4 and 3/4 tuba, so maybe 7/8? This tuba is in very good playing condition. All slides move, some are a little stiff. Valves are very good: quick, smooth, not too noisy, with excellent compression for the age of the horn.

The horn body shows wear and tear, scratches, scrapes, small dings, evidence of prior repairs, etc. The leadpipe has been repaired and made to stand off the horn. Although there are some gaps between the bottom bow guard and the bow, the guard is solid and doesn't move or buzz.

The bell has four patches, is missing most of its lacquer and has obviously been rolled out at least once. The repairs were done well and it feels solid.

I considered replacing the bell, but I decided against it because I did not want to do anything that would affect the sound, which I think is great. I bought this with a friend in mind who is always searching for the ultimate "old man tuba", but it ended up not working out for him, and another tuba has caught my eye, so I need to move this one along.

(I have an O-99 3-valve with an unrepairable bent first valve I'm going to be putting up for sale soon, so you could have a replacement bell and spare parts for just a few hundred dollars. It's in overall decent shape, but unplayable and unrepairable due to the ruined first valve, according to my local repair shop. Stay tuned or contact me if you're interested in an O-99-1 parts horn.)

This tuba has been professionally serviced and cleaned. No case or mouthpiece is included. The stand shown in some of the photos is not included, but it is for sale if you're interested.

SPECIFICATIONS
BORE: .656"
MATERIAL: Brass; baked epoxy finish
BELL: 16"
Weight 19 lbs.

Please email instead of PMing if possible: bobstubahaus@gmail.com

Thanks for looking.