FS: late 70s Miraphone 186 BBb w/ gig bag and hard case

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

FS: late 70s Miraphone 186 BBb w/ gig bag and hard case

Post by arpthark »

I am selling a late 1970s Miraphone ("Mirafone") 186 BBb tuba in silver plate. It is not ready for prime time, but I am posting to see if there is any initial interest once it is ready to go, or if anyone would be interested as-is.

This is a former institutional instrument that has seen typical institutional use, especially on the bell section, with numerous patches, wrinkles and crinkles. It still sounds great and has fantastic intonation. There are a few patches on the body of the instrument, including on the 1st valve slide and on the lower dogleg near the main tuning slide. There is also something weird going on with the receiver; it is sticking out a bit far and doesn't readily seat a mouthpiece without rocking. I am taking this to my instrument repair guy to see if we can find a solution. The mouthpipe is a replacement in raw nickel silver, and the valve section is all silver-plated nickel silver. The tuba has S-linkages, and #4 has a bit of play. There is a big karate chop whack in an upper bow. All slides move, the valves are fast and all have plenty of pop when pulling slides.

All these issues can be addressed by my local repair guy, who does great work.

The tuba comes with a Tuxedo top-loader gig bag and the original hard wooden case if you want it.

The as-is price for this tuba is $1,500.

The gone-over-by-my-repair-guy-in-a-few-weeks price is $1,750. Pics will be posted either tonight or later this week.

Pickup in CT is preferred or we can meet up in the NYC Metro/New England areas.

Thanks! Send me a PM or an email at beanhillbrass at gmail if you are interested.

Blake
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Re: FS: late 70s Miraphone 186 BBb w/ gig bag and hard case

Post by arpthark »