FS: Rudy Meinl 5/4 BBb w/ gig bag - $7500

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Mcordon1
bugler
bugler

FS: Rudy Meinl 5/4 BBb w/ gig bag - $7500

Post by Mcordon1 »

For your consideration:
A Rudy Meinl 5/4 BBb. This is a wonderful tuba, helped me win an audition. The low end flies out of this thing.

Pictures available at the bottom of this post, via Facebook marketplace.

This horn was previously owned by "Bort" here on the forums, bought it from him less than two years ago.

Here is an email that Bort sent me regarding some details of this horn:
"Lee Stofer believes that it was built in the late 1950s. The bell is marked as Chr Reisser, Ulm Do, which is a music store, Christian Reisser, in Ulm Germany, on the Donau (Danube) river. It's 100% built by Rudy Meinl, just stenciled with the store where it was sold instead of "Rudolf Meinl." I'm not certain what the differences are in the Bayreuth and older 5/4 model, but from my understanding they are far more similar than different. The overall physical size and shape are the same, as are the bore and the bell size. The bell was pretty crinkled at some point in its life, and wasn't repaired too well. Lee patched 26 places in the bell, and he and I both agreed this was highly favorable to preserve the old bell instead of getting a new bell (which is also an option)."

At one point the leadpipe was replaced with a leadpipe from a Miraphone 190 BBb.

In case you don't know of Lee Stofer, he is a master of his craft.

I had the valves cleaned by local trombonist/brass repairman extraordinaire Graham Middleton, who works for Marcinkiewicz mouthpieces and plays for the Portland Opera.

It comes with a vertical-loading gig bag, no hard case.

I'm going to have to refuse to ship this horn.

I'm located in Southwest Washington state, near Portland, Oregon. I'm willing to drive anywhere within Oregon and Washington to meet you, and might be open to crossing borders into California, Idaho, or British Columbia to get this moved.

Here's the Facebook ad:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... tid=dXMIcH

Thanks for looking!
~Pacific NW