FS: King HN White 1261 4valve Eb Sousaphone

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
keiranto
lurker
lurker

FS: King HN White 1261 4valve Eb Sousaphone

Post by keiranto »

Looking to sell my lovely 4 Valve King Eb Sousaphone - I believe it's a Model 1261, made in 1941 or 1942 for the US army by King HN White. The instrument is in lovely condition, it's got some patina and a couple of minor nicks and dings due to its age and use, but plays beautifully, all valves move quickly and quietly, tuning slides freely move with a single finger, and the instrument blows freely and in tune.

This is one of the best blowing sousaphones I've ever played, especially for an Eb - compared to many Eb sousaphones which have the main bow of the tubing double back at the breast, this King model continues it around the whole body in the same way as a BBb Sousaphone, making it a lot less stuffy and easier to blow. The instrument is light and responsive, and with the fourth valve you have the full range of a BBb Sousaphone in a much smaller and crucially lighter package, wearing this after my Martin Mammoth BBb feels like playing a fibreglass Sousaphone, but with the sound of a full brass instrument.

No hard case, but I've got a pleather style bag and body wrap that fits it well and protects from scratches. The mouth pipe is I believe not original, as it's in a different lacquer to the rest of the instrument, but looks to be from the same model, just slightly newer.

Looking for around £2500, feel free to get in touch and make an offer or come give it a blow. I can record video of playing it also. I'm based on Merseyside, UK, but I'm all over the country regularly for gigs, so can possibly meet to deliver or try it out. I hate to see it go, but I can't justify owning three sousaphones and a marching tuba!

Photos and more info at my FB listing:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 447367595/