Meinl Weston 182 or 2182

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

2185?

Post by Tom »

I'm just curious...what is a 2185?

My MW catalog lists no such model.

For others that may be interested, my MW catalog lists the 185 as a 1/4 size BBb with 3 rotors, a 15" bell, and .630 bore.
Mark

Post by Mark »

cc_tuba_guy wrote:MW 185 is a 5 valve 3/4 F tuba. The 2185 is the 4 piston/ 1 rotor version of the horn. The 2185 is new to the market this year.
I've seen both the 182 and the 2182 but have not played either. I would not described the 2182 as the piston verions of the 182. The 2182 is a much larger horn than the 182 (which is tiny).
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

cc_tuba_guy wrote:I'm sorry. I messed up. it's the 182 and the 2182.
No problem...I wasn't sure if I had missed something or what. Funny thing is that there is a model 185.

Anyway, asking about the 183 and 2182 makes much more sense. I love the 182...it's so fun to play, but it is tiny. I'd love to have one, but I'm not really sure what I could use it for. I guess it'd be a good solo horn especially for baroque transcriptions, but I don't have the need for such a specialized instrument.

The 2182 is different. As far as I know there is only one in the United States so far and it came over as a special order item for a famous east coast tubist. Thus, finding someone that has one for sale will, quite honestly, be impossible. Another pro that has spent a good amount of time playing that exact tuba (the one Dillon's imported that was talked up so much) said that he really likes it. Intonation was described as "fine," amount of sound was described as between a Yamaha 621 and 822, and he said it wouldn't be a bad F to own at all.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about the 2182
joebob
bugler
bugler

there are two at Dillon Music

Post by joebob »

I believe there are two MW 2182 tubas at Dillon Music. Also, Don Harry has one and sounds great on it.
bberlien
bugler
bugler

MW2182

Post by bberlien »

To clarify, the 2182 is not a piston version of the MW 182, but far more a piston version of an Alexander F. I recently purchased a 2182 at Dillon music, selecting one from the three they had in stock (which makes a total of 6 in the US - supposedly there are 5 more or so over in Europe). I chose to scale down from the 45slp to better fit my performance needs. For me, the 2182 is like a 45slp (i.e. BIG sound) with the volume nob turned down a notch. I also find the 2182 much easier to play, and an ergonomic wonder.

Also, they have a used 182 at Dillon music, along with the two remaining new 2182s.
Ben Berlien
bberlien AT hotmail DOT com
425-420-5212
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

Ben,

Is your SLP the bare brass one that Dillon Music has right now?

Just curious

~Tom
bberlien
bugler
bugler

45slp at Dillons

Post by bberlien »

Yes, the raw brass 45slp at Dillons is the horn I traded in for my 2182. I purchased that 45slp from Chris Olka 3 years ago, after Chris rebuilt the enitre horn. Anyone interested should contact Matt Walters at Dillons, since he is quite familiar with the instrument. Chris Olka also recently used this horn during a masterclass in NYC. (BTW, it comes with a flight case)
Ben Berlien
425-420-5212
bberlien
bugler
bugler

Post by bberlien »

To me, the MW 182 is a great playing, but very small F. The next step up would be a Yamaha 621. The 2182 is around the same size as a 621, but plays much larger. The Yamaha 822 is bigger than the 2182, and the 45slp (and slz) is a huge orchestral F tuba that still works well for quintet and solo work.

The 2182 is quite a bit larger than the 182. While the 182 plays great, it feels like a small tuba. The 2182 plays HUGE for its size, and puts out a lot more volume than a 182. Neither comes close to putting out the amount of sound of a 45slp. I find my 2182 to play very easily, and it affords me a great deal of control.

The 2182 is about the same size and puts out similar volume to an Alexander F, though plays like a MW piston horn.
Ben Berlien
425-420-5212
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

Does the 2182 have the big valve set on it?

I've never seen anything but the pictures of it on the website, and to be honest, I can't tell if they're the big ones or a new version that's smaller.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
Gorilla Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Gorilla Tuba »

This post is sort of a statement as well as a question because I, too, am intrigued by the 2182.

I used to own a 182 and loved it. It was small and offer a great contrast in sound to my Mirafone 186. When I replaced my Mirafone with a PT6, the contrast was just too much. So I went shopping for a more "all-around" F tuba.

After playing Josh Calkins' MW 45S (not SLP), I found the sound I was looking for and bought one for myself.

From a sound standpoint, the descriptions I hear from you guys about the 2182 are very similar to how I'd describe the 45S. Much bigger and more "tuba-like" than the 182, but not as heavy (sounding) as the 45SLP or Yamaha 822.

My question then is this: What is the difference in sound between a 45S and the 2182. Although I an quite happy with the sound of the 45S, it is not very good ergonomically for me... I am developing tendonitus. A DEG stand helps, but it isn't perfect either. I'd rather get a new F tuba than have to take Alleve and ice my wrist every time I practice.

OOps...I feel another thread coming on.
A. Douglas Whitten
Associate Director of Bands
Assoc. Professor of Tuba & Euphonium
Pittsburg State University
Mark

Post by Mark »

Gorilla Tuba wrote:This post is sort of a statement as well as a question because I, too, am intrigued by the 2182...
Will you be going to the Big Brass Bash again this summer? If so and if Chris Olka is going, you might be able to talk him into bringing one of his 2182s.

Ben, in a earleir post said he thought the 2182 was about the same size as the Yamaha 621. He may be right, but the 2182 I saw looked quite a bit taller. Definitely smaller than the 45SLP though and also smaller than my Miraphone 181.
Gorilla Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Gorilla Tuba »

Mark,

Sadly, I won't be in Boise for the BBB. I really wish I could. I had a lot of fun last year.
A. Douglas Whitten
Associate Director of Bands
Assoc. Professor of Tuba & Euphonium
Pittsburg State University
bberlien
bugler
bugler

Post by bberlien »

First, the 2182 does NOT have the big MW valve set- it has much smaller valves. (The big valves have a 1 inch valve stroke(0.748" bore); the set on the 2182 has a 3/4 inch (0.708" bore) distance to travel).

I used to play my 45slp in quintet, then I switched to my MW2000. Recently I brought my 2182 into a quintet rehearsal and received positive responses from the group. I don't think any of these horns would be a problem in a chamber setting. The 2182 works great for solo work.

The 2182 may be taller than a Yamaha 621, but that's because of the wrap - the 2182 has a double wrap like the 2155/2000, so the body is compact, and the bell is tall.
Ben Berlien
425-420-5212
bberlien
bugler
bugler

Post by bberlien »

The 2182 and 2155 are clearly designed by the same person (Warren Deck). The respose and feedback of both are quite similar.
Ben Berlien
425-420-5212
JCalkin
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JCalkin »

I recently had my 45S in to Dillon for a routine service and some not-so-roputine custom work... Matt Walters is a genius... and I was able to play my 45S next to the two 2182s.

The sound of the rotary 45S was a bit more colorful and "German Tuba-ish", which is what I prefer in a horn primarily used for solo and small ensemble. The 2182 played well, but I'd keep my bigger f in a heart beat, for the tone. My impression of the 2182's best function would be for Berlioz, where a lighter sound would not be at all out of place.

No, the horn does not stand as tall as a 2155... it's a considerably smaller instrument that is ingeneously wrapped to make it larger than the 182, which was too small (IMO) to be comfortably held.

The valves were definitely NOT the large set, but were comfortably spaced. The folks who can't handle the 45SLP will love this tuba. As I'm comfortable with the large set (on my 2155), the valves on the 2182 felt just a bit odd to me, but that's just something I'd have to get used to.

The 2182 is a great tuba that loads of people will love. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

Doug, you laughed when I put the cloth wrap on my 45S's third valve tubing, but give it a try. It makes it much better on the right wrist.

-J
Josh Calkin
Wayne State College
Low Brass/Bands