Meinl Weston 182 or 2182

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Gorilla Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Gorilla Tuba »

Mark,

Sadly, I won't be in Boise for the BBB. I really wish I could. I had a lot of fun last year.
A. Douglas Whitten
Associate Director of Bands
Assoc. Professor of Tuba & Euphonium
Pittsburg State University
bberlien
bugler
bugler

Post by bberlien »

First, the 2182 does NOT have the big MW valve set- it has much smaller valves. (The big valves have a 1 inch valve stroke(0.748" bore); the set on the 2182 has a 3/4 inch (0.708" bore) distance to travel).

I used to play my 45slp in quintet, then I switched to my MW2000. Recently I brought my 2182 into a quintet rehearsal and received positive responses from the group. I don't think any of these horns would be a problem in a chamber setting. The 2182 works great for solo work.

The 2182 may be taller than a Yamaha 621, but that's because of the wrap - the 2182 has a double wrap like the 2155/2000, so the body is compact, and the bell is tall.
Ben Berlien
bberlien AT hotmail DOT com
425-420-5212
bberlien
bugler
bugler

Post by bberlien »

The 2182 and 2155 are clearly designed by the same person (Warren Deck). The respose and feedback of both are quite similar.
Ben Berlien
bberlien AT hotmail DOT com
425-420-5212
JCalkin
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JCalkin »

I recently had my 45S in to Dillon for a routine service and some not-so-roputine custom work... Matt Walters is a genius... and I was able to play my 45S next to the two 2182s.

The sound of the rotary 45S was a bit more colorful and "German Tuba-ish", which is what I prefer in a horn primarily used for solo and small ensemble. The 2182 played well, but I'd keep my bigger f in a heart beat, for the tone. My impression of the 2182's best function would be for Berlioz, where a lighter sound would not be at all out of place.

No, the horn does not stand as tall as a 2155... it's a considerably smaller instrument that is ingeneously wrapped to make it larger than the 182, which was too small (IMO) to be comfortably held.

The valves were definitely NOT the large set, but were comfortably spaced. The folks who can't handle the 45SLP will love this tuba. As I'm comfortable with the large set (on my 2155), the valves on the 2182 felt just a bit odd to me, but that's just something I'd have to get used to.

The 2182 is a great tuba that loads of people will love. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

Doug, you laughed when I put the cloth wrap on my 45S's third valve tubing, but give it a try. It makes it much better on the right wrist.

-J
Josh Calkin
Wayne State College
Low Brass/Bands