WTB: Rudy Meinl 4/4 F tuba

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Tom Haggerty
lurker
lurker

WTB: Rudy Meinl 4/4 F tuba

Post by Tom Haggerty »

Looking for a Rudolf Meinl 4/4 F tuba. I believe the model is RMF-41.

Thanks!

thaggert@bu.edu
chhite

Post by chhite »

It's not the model you specified, but Lee Stofer has a prototype RM 4/4 piston F. If you're interested, contact him for more details. You won't be dissapointed.

www.tubameister.com
Tom Haggerty
lurker
lurker

Post by Tom Haggerty »

Thanks for the plug. The piston is nice (I played it recently at Army Conference), but I am set on the traditional rotary model with 6 valves. I would also entertain an Alex F.
chhite

Post by chhite »

Are you strictly looking for used or is a new horn in your budget? Last fall, Rudi had a 4/4 with six valves and an additional second valve kicker operated by the third finger on the left hand, giving the appearance that it had seven valves. Don't know if that tickles your fancy or not.
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

Are you looking for one of these Image or one of these? Image
Tom Haggerty
lurker
lurker

Post by Tom Haggerty »

I am looking for the one on the left. Though I believe the design on the 4/4 rotary horn has been modified since the mid 1990s(?). I know of a 4/4 Rudy F whose 5th valve has the open wrap (somewhat similar to the B&S design), as opposed to the close, tight, parallel wrap. Neither makes a difference to me, as long as the horn plays in tune and projects well.

I would consider purchasing a new horn if needed.
csutherland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by csutherland »

I have a 4/4 Rudi F that I bought from Lee Stofer. When I got it from him he also had a 5/4 F in the same configuration - I believe it was special ordered from Rudi Meinl by Lee. It's a 5 valve (right hand) with the shorter leadpipe and open wrap fifth valve (like the B&S), and also a left hand thumb operated second valve trigger. It is also red brass from the leadpipe through the main tuning slide, then yellow brass through to the bell. It plays, and is sized, very much like the Miraphone Firebird - but more Rudi-like I guess you might say. I have played them side by side and they both are great horns. Good luck.

-Craig
Tom Haggerty
lurker
lurker

Post by Tom Haggerty »

bump