Two-for-One special on 4-Valve Baritones !!! Olds and King

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Mike Finn
3 valves
3 valves

Two-for-One special on 4-Valve Baritones !!! Olds and King

Post by Mike Finn »

That's right, I need to sell these TWO baritones so I can buy ONE shiny new Euphonium. Buy one or both (or neither), first offer over $1,000 takes 'em both plus a free mouthpiece! Check out http://mikefinnmouthpieces.com/trombonempc.html The 55C4 really makes these horns sing, but the C6 may be better suited to tuba doublers. (A hard case is available for the King at extra $$.)

Side-by-side comparison: (they're both about the same size, although due to the camera angle the King looks smaller.)
As you can see, the Olds is in nicer shape than the King. I just had a "play-condition-plus" done by Dan Schultz, and he really cleaned it up nicely, especially the bell, which had been pretty wrinkled. There's still some evidence of older repairs, after all it's a former school horn. Serial #528xxx dates it to the 50's I believe. The valves on this thing are super smooth and fast, although the first valve is not original, and the guide needed to be moved for proper alignment. (I can provide a pic of that if you're interested.)
The King looks rougher, it also came from a school, and has lots of tiny dings and scratches but no major denting. Worst is the bell, the rim has been flattened out over the years, and there are a few small holes where the metal has been creased. I wouldn't let my local guy patch it, and he didn't want to braze it... should have sent this one to the Village Tinker too, but I don't want to put money into it. (I want to get money out of it.) The valves are fine, if a little clanky, new felts and corks will help that. Not a good looker, but it actually plays a little better than the Olds, it's slightly more open throughout and I can get a bigger sound. (Using the same mpc on both horns for comparison.)

Here are a few more pics:

Don't hesitate to ask me questions, or for more pics, this is a serious sale. I've finally made up my mind to get rid of these (the Olds is new to me, but I've been dragging the King around for years) and I'm ready to get one of those Chinese Euphs with the snazzy case. If I can't sell either or both here, they'll be up on eBay within the week.
Don't miss this opportunity. :shock: :roll: :wink: 8)
MF