Conn 28J

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
jeopardymaster
4 valves
4 valves

Conn 28J

Post by jeopardymaster »

Here is an old Conn 28J BBb I need to sell. I offered it on EBay last month but didn't get any bids as high as my reserve price. This horn has a retrofitted valve section, taken from a couple of sousaphones. According to Dan Schultz (aka tubatinker) the valve piston diameter corresponds to Buescher or Selmer.

I wish I could keep the instrument. 4th line F is a tad sharp, and I have some trouble getting a grip on second line C now and then, but the horn plays really well, with an incredibly sweet sound and a whole lot of volume potential. It feels like a 4/4, but in at least a decent size hall you'd swear it was a VERY BIG horn.

Valve action is superb, response is excellent, intonation other than as I have mentioned above is very good.

I'd like to get $2000 for this instrument. I have no case for it, and am not offering a mouthpiece. Pics below include one of the 28J side by side with a Mirafone 186 BBb and a Besson 983 EEb. More pics available on request.

jeopardymaster
4 valves
4 valves

Conn 28J

Post by jeopardymaster »

Time to bump. If you are looking for a BBb with a good combination of heft and agility, check this one out.
WakinAZ
Community Band Button-Masher

Post by WakinAZ »

What's the diameter on that bell? 20"? 22"?
jeopardymaster
4 valves
4 valves

Conn 28J

Post by jeopardymaster »

Bell diameter is just a smidgeon over 22 inches. Just measured it. I may have reported the diameter as 24" at some time in the past, but that was my 25J -- which is now sold.
davidgilbreath
bugler
bugler
Location: My Old Kentucky Home in Marietta, GA (or little England way beyond Wales)

Post by davidgilbreath »

I played Bro. Jeopardymaster's 28J about one month ago in the parking lot of a LaQuinta Inn (Lexington, KY). As I was there to buy his 25J (now there's a manly horn), I thought it might be fun to play the 28J. I think our teacher, the late Rex Conner, would have been pleased with our concert.

Dave's 28J has a sweet sound, perhaps euphonium-like when contrasted the the behemoth 25J, but still BIG. The valves were light, fast and smooth. (The 25J BAT sounds like a velvet locomotive. I get all weak at the knees in church when I hit pedal tones and feel the sympathetic vibrations from our organ.)

Jeopoardymaster and I are big guys so neither horn was too much to handle, but the 28J doesn't require quite the muscle (or beer) as the 25J.

Dave's 28J is a grand instrument and deserves a good home.

David Gilbreath

" . . . and loudly he played . . . "
davidgilbreath
bugler
bugler
Location: My Old Kentucky Home in Marietta, GA (or little England way beyond Wales)

Post by davidgilbreath »

time for a weekend bump
davidgilbreath
bugler
bugler

Post by davidgilbreath »

Great pictures of this BAT on Dan Schultz's site, http://thevillagetinker.com. Click on "More Interesting Stuff", scroll down to "Whatzit?" for a look.

This magnificent beast needs a good home.
Last edited by davidgilbreath on Sat May 12, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

davidgilbreath wrote:Great pictures of this BAT on Dan Schultz's site, http://www.villagetinker.com. Click on "More Interesting Stuff", scroll down to "Whatzit?" for a look.

This magnificent beast needs a good home.
That link should read
http://thevillagetinker.com
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
davidgilbreath
bugler
bugler

Post by davidgilbreath »

Bump

David Gilbreath
" . . . and loudly he played . . . "
jeopardymaster
4 valves
4 valves

Find it at Dillon's

Post by jeopardymaster »

I just turned the 28J over to FedX Ground for delivery to Dillon's next week, to be offered on consignment. If you are in the NY area, stop by Dillon's and, starting sometime next week, you'll be able to check it out.