FS Conn 2J

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
rosotuba
lurker
lurker

FS Conn 2J

Post by rosotuba »

I am selling my 4 valve Conn 2J tuba. Included is the original Conn hard case and a Reunion Blues gig bag, both in very good condition. The horn plays very freely and the pitch is solid. I just had it chem cleaned so it's ready for a new owner.
Asking: $2500.00 + shipping.

MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

is there an emoticon for salivating?
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

After having played the one I found forgotten in the basement in my undergrad music department, I can tell you that as a small ensemble horn the Conn 2J is very underrated. I'd consider it myself if I didn't have free access to one when I needed/desired it. The nickel inside the bell really polishes up nicely, also!
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

I still can't believe i sold my perfect one for a lousy 2k...dumbass.....is their an emoticon for kicking one's self in the ***?...
Pensacola Symphony
jonesbrass
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jonesbrass »

What a beauty!! Love the 2J.
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, 1922 Conn 86I
Gone but not forgotten:
Cerveny 681, Musica-Steyr F, Miraphone 188, Melton 45, Conn 2J, B&M 5520S CC, Shires Bass Trombone, Cerveny CFB-653-5IMX, St. Petersburg 202N
Chriss2760
bugler
bugler

Post by Chriss2760 »

Please excuse my ignorance: What is the key of this horn?
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

CC
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Toobist
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Toobist »

I positively love the 2J. My first CC looked identical to this one and it played like a dream. The horn was a loaner from my first teacher so I couldn't hold on to it. I challenge anyone to find a better CC for quintet. If I had the cash right now I'd be all over it...I just bought a YFB-822S so times are lean.

If you're really worried about the lack of a 5th valve, the 1st and 4th slide are close enough together that you can pull both at once and play a convincing D and Db. It has a great, old-fashioned American sound and I wouldn't hesitate to give this one a try.

As for under-rated, I totally agree. I wasn't surprised to see Ray Stewart of Meridian Arts Ensemble with what I'd assume to be a 2J. I'm so jealous of whomever buys this horn!
Al Carter
Kitchener, Ontario
rosotuba
lurker
lurker

Post by rosotuba »

Thanks for all of the positive feedback on the horn. I've enjoyed playing it for 25 years and do think that someone will be pleased with how well it plays.
Contact me at: rbo1@comcast.net
quinterbourne
4 valves
4 valves

Post by quinterbourne »

3J has a larger bell diameter.
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

I understand that there is quite a bit of difference other than just the size,though both are solidly 3/4.The 2j,I think,was made by the Olds guys in Cali.,the 3 was made in Abilene,I think,and had completely different,shorter stroke valves.Both are quite good...
Pensacola Symphony
glangfur
bugler
bugler

Post by glangfur »

I have a 3J, which, in addition to the larger bell diameter, has dual radius slide crooks all around, as opposed to the more rounded crooks of the 2J. I think the 3J is heavier overall as well.

I've been told that the 3J was designed for Harvey Phillips. I though about adding a 5th valve to mine, until I started practicing it and discovered how good the false tones are.

It's a great tuba for me as a doubler.
Gabe Langfur
Bass Trombonist
Rhode Island Philharmonic
Vermont Sympony

Lecturer of Bass Trombone, Boston University
Guest Artist/Teacher in Trombone, U of RI

S. E. Shires Co.
gabe@seshires.com" target="_blank" target="_blank