Intrested in MP for Besson BBb

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
tubatom91
4 valves
4 valves

Intrested in MP for Besson BBb

Post by tubatom91 »

I am considering buying a CHEAP MP anybody got some scrap metal laying around?
Last edited by tubatom91 on Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia-Nu Omicron Chapter
Holton 345 BBb 4V
Miraphone 188-5U CC
Meinl-Weston 45S F
tubatom91
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubatom91 »

there's a couple old Besson recording basses at school that no body uses and they are euro shank. I'd like to use one of them before they get sold/"lost". So I just want a cheap MP I don't nessicarily care what it is I just hate to see an instrument of quality go to waste
Holton 345 BBb 4V
Miraphone 188-5U CC
Meinl-Weston 45S F
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Peach »

Something doesn't fit here (apart from your mouthpiece)...

Euro shanks are bigger than regular US. Is that what you need?

Your regular shank mouthpiece will fit fine into a Euro receiver to try a horn.

Since it's a Besson - are you meaning it's a bass trombone size shank you're looking for?

Best.[/i]
Peach
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

The Bessons with the recording bells are BBb, usually non-comp, although a few comps were made, with a .730 bore on a really short leadpipe, so it plays larger and takes more air than it looks on first glance. A 3 maybe too small to get a good low register. If you must contemplate those dinosaurs, get a Wick 2 if you're used to a Bach 18 or Miraphone C3 style mouthpiece (rounded bottom cup) or a Wick 1 if you're used to a Helleberg. BTW - the Wick 1 was specifically designed for a Besson BBb, but it is so deep it can be hard to play, in spite of it being my main mouthpiece. But since Denis had to go out on his own after Besson folded, they are not cheap. I am a great fan of classic Besson tubas, but this is one model that is, well let's just say it's not my favorite Besson tuba.
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
tubatom91
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubatom91 »

thanks everyone my so called "band directors" all said they are Euro shanks. My Conn Helle 7B only goes in about 1CM
Holton 345 BBb 4V
Miraphone 188-5U CC
Meinl-Weston 45S F
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

And so does every other standard "American" shank mouthpiece. If you must use an "American" shank in the meantime, Get a Kelly, as you don't have to worry about it banging up anything if it falls out. It's also a good sounding mouthpiece just because, and everyone should have one for outdoor extreme temperatures. I like the Kelly 18, but if you like a 1.30 rim diameter instead of a 1.28, then the Kellyburg, like the Wick 1 and a Conn Helleberg 120, has a good deep funnel cup that will produce a good tone on a Besson.
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
NickJones
bugler
bugler

Post by NickJones »

For a Besson Bb I would go as a starter mouthpiece a 2XL , I have always found 3L mp's always a bit small , I used a 2L for ages and found it worked really well ,and a good comfortable mp.
I have played Bb since 1993 and only changed to a perantucci 36 in 2000 , it's served me really well , comfy ,not too big size but great for Bb..
I would recomend trying a couple to see which one works for you.
Nick Jones
Wales UK
tubatom91
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubatom91 »

to update I stole a bass bone MP from some senior to see the difference in shank size it fit perfect into the receiver so there is a size reference (Schilke)
Holton 345 BBb 4V
Miraphone 188-5U CC
Meinl-Weston 45S F