*SOLD* 1926 Conn 4 valve 'Monster' Eb tuba for sale: $3,800

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
jon112780
4 valves
4 valves

*SOLD* 1926 Conn 4 valve 'Monster' Eb tuba for sale: $3,800

Post by jon112780 »

1926 4 valve (front action piston) 'Monster' (5/4ish) Eb in bare brass, 20" bell, .690" bore.

When I purchased this horn, the low register was um, shall we say, finicky, and I couldn't move the 1st slide when playing. I took it to Sam Gnagey's shop and he mentioned the problem with the low register (around low BBb) might be that the horn was too conical. So, he replaced the old 'curly style' leadpipe(with the tuning slide in it), to a new, normal 'straight in' leadpipe, and fabricated a main tuning slide after the valve set.

Well, the difference was night and day! The low register spoke much easier now, and the horn's response improved overall. The notes around low BBb still feel a tad different (like the low AA and AAb on the HB-2 CC I used to have), but they sound fine out front. I'm used to compensating Eb's, so I don't think it's not much different than the feel of a low BBb on a compensating Eb (4th valve).

All together, I'd say the horn is 80% original. The first valve slide was turned so it can be moved during playing, and Sam used the original parts from the 1st slide he disassembled. I already mentioned the leadpipe was new, and the tuning slide was from another horn. The finger buttons are the larger Meinl-Weston kind, not the original small ones. Also, I had the steel guides replaced with plastic, and the cork pads are now neoprene. The valves are very quiet and fast now. :D

I photographed the dents, all are small and on the bottom bow, with the exception of the small ding in back, which is also shown. There is a gap reciever included that Sam fashioned for the smaller shank mouthpieces. This horn works best with a smaller mouthpiece. I tried my (big) G&W Bayamo on it, but quiclky put it aside for the (much smaller) LM-15, that seemed to get a real nice sound.

The movable 1st slide is nice, not only to tune the upper register, but to get low AAb (14), low GGb (134) and low FF (1234) in tune. You can get the low EE with the false tone, or by (1234) with the 4th slide pulled out another couple inches, as well as the 1st slide out. Look at the picture and you can see the 1st slide comes out a pretty good distance. The 2nd slide is also located on top so it can be moved if needed (I haven't needed...).

The picture with the blue/purplish background is a 'before' pic, showing what it was like before Sam did his magic. I wouldn't call this a 'cut' horn (no shortening to another key), but an altered one (different leadpipe and tuning slide, plus 1st valve work). On a scale of 1-10, I'd give the overall condition a 9.4 and I would mention that puts out a nice BIG sound.

EDIT: I'm selling because I really like my 983 Eb (had it for 7 years) and will only have one small horn at a time. By the way, I'm on the lookout for a largish CC, and/or a euphonium, so if you're thinking about a possible trade, let me know, we can figure something out...

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention before, it comes with a black ProTec gigbag in very good condition.

EDIT: I have been asked if I still have the original leadpipe. Yes, I do. make me an offer... THE ORIGINAL LEADPIPE HAS BEEN SOLD

EDIT: The price reflects how much went into the horn: purchase and modifications, I'm just trying to get what I put into it; but will entertain reasonable offers.

If you are serious about a purchase/trade or something to that matter, email or PM me. The horn is in East Lansing, MI.

Last edited by jon112780 on Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:33 pm, edited 11 times in total.
jon112780
4 valves
4 valves

Conn Eb

Post by jon112780 »

If you are serious about a purchase/swap or something to that matter, email or PM me.
bububassboner
pro musician
pro musician

Post by bububassboner »

Sweet horn

I'm putting one of those back together and I am planning to do those mods. But for the low range you could put a rotor in the leadpipe(like all Bob Rusk horns) to get all the low notes without false tones. Just a thought.

Again sweet horn.
Big tubas
Little tubas
Army Strong
Go Ducks!
jon112780
4 valves
4 valves

Conn Eb

Post by jon112780 »

I was thinking about a 5th valve for it, but I really need a larger CC at this point and can't afford to have 3 horns right now, so one of them got to go. Since my 983 is my main horn the other Eb (the Conn) is the one that's up for sale (sniff). Hope it goes to a good home...
USTuba08
bugler
bugler

Re: Conn Eb

Post by USTuba08 »

jon112780 wrote:
If you are serious about a purchase/swap or something to that matter, email or PM me.
Maybe you'd get more interest if you posted a starting price point. Without one, it doesn't seem that you are real interested in selling your horn?

MOFWIW
jon112780
4 valves
4 valves

Oooooh boy!

Post by jon112780 »

As per numerous requests in my inbox and PM's the asking price is now up. Thanks for looking!
KentEshelman
bugler
bugler

Post by KentEshelman »

To whom it may concern,

I was able to do some playing on this horn yesterday--I'm a fellow MSU grad student in tuba performance--and just thought I would chime in and agree with what Jon said about the low register being nice. While I normally play F rather than Eb bass tuba, it was clear to me that the 4th valve low Bb is good note; certainly much more solid than the 4th valve low C on most F tubas! (I was using a Dillon F1 mouthpiece.)

I also liked the quality of sound that this horn produces, and particularly the breadth of sound.

Kent Eshelman
pierso20
5 valves
5 valves

Eb

Post by pierso20 »

I cannot express enough of the clarity, ease of play, and particularily intonation of this horn. Especially being a very large Eb. I played it yesterday and found it quite enjoyable. Speak's quite easy, and I love that low Eb. I do not play Eb myself, so i couldn't give it a great runthrough, but it is very even between partials and I was especially impressed with teh quick/smooth action in the 4 pistons.
Brooke Pierson

Music Educator
Composer
Composer http://www.brookepierson.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
jon112780
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jon112780 »

bump
jon112780
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jon112780 »

bump
jon112780
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jon112780 »

bump...
Energizer Bunny arrested, charged with battery.
andrew the tuba player
3 valves
3 valves

Post by andrew the tuba player »

Would you like to trade for a mirafone 186 5uc???
1969 Mirafone 186 BBb
1965 Conn 20J
Olds fiberglass Sousaphone Project- for sale
Epiphone Thunderbird Bass Guitar
Cremona 3/4 upright bass
pierso20
5 valves
5 valves

Post by pierso20 »

well jon, ur lookin for a CC? :P
Brooke Pierson

Music Educator
Composer
Composer http://www.brookepierson.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank