SOLD - 6 valve 4/4 F tuba FS $2600

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

SOLD - 6 valve 4/4 F tuba FS $2600

Post by MartyNeilan »

Wife wants a house, and the two adults and three kids (at last count) don't fit so good in a small apartment.
So......

I am offering up for sale a very special F tuba. This is the same model of horn that Walter Hilgers used on his early recordings and modeled his "small" Meinl Weston F tuba after. This is a Cerveny Harmonia F tuba with a quint valve that is approximately 30-35 years old. The bore is .709" (larger than many smaller F tubas with a .689") and the bell flare is 14.17" - about the same size as a YFB621 bell but with a much larger throat. Height is a modest 35.43", but still taller than many 3/4 F tubas. The 5th valve is operated by the left thumb and lowers the horn a flat halfstep. The 6th valve - the right thumb operated quint valve - is located past the main slide and is of significantly larger bore. With the quint valve kicked in, this horn becomes a low register monster on low BBb and below, and pedal tones are absolutely unnecessary unless desired. The main tuning slide uses a hiddden reverse slide, similar to some trumpets and trombones, to ensure the largest possible airflow.

Unlike the newer horns, this has a two piece brass leadpipe and not a two piece nickle leadpipe. The sound if very warm and rich and does not break up easily.

I am classifying this horn as a 4/4 and not a 3/4 because of the bell throat, quint valve, and overall sound. When played in a recital back to back with my 2145, this horn consistently outprojected the 2145, and I was using the same mouthpiece on both horns. This tuba can fit in a quintet environmet if they are looking for a clear focused sound and not an earth mover, but it is very much at home on solos from Gregson to Hindy to VW (not to mention Bach cello suites) and orchestral F works from Berlioz to the Brahms Requiem to the Mahler 1 solo. Unlike the Apollo, 45SLP, 822F, and similar horns, this is a true F tuba with an F tuba sound and not a downsized CC.

Intonation:
Every note on this horn can be played perfectly in tune with a little practice. With 6 valves, the low register combinations are limitless, and the large bore quint valve really opens up low Bb and below. The slots are wide and notes are easily lipped, but here are a few fingerings I have worked out that virtually eliminate all lipping:
Using 3 and 5-1-2 puts sharp 1-2 and 2-3 combinations perfectly in tune for the middle and low D's and C#'s. Top line A works best 1-2, Ab 2-3, and G 4 (which centers very easily). The neighboring F# can be playing in perfect tune at either 1-2 or 5-4, making for a smooth transition to the 4th valve G. E above the staff comes in spot on at 12 and Eb at 23; otherwise using the traditional 2 and 1 fingerings they need to be pushed up a little. Interestingly enough, A, Ab, G and F# at the bottom of the staff come in best at 1-2, 2-3, 1-3, and 2-4 despite the extra valves.
This is a rotory F, but the medium low range is still very workable once you get used to it. D, Db, and C, and B below the staff are in tune at 3, 5-1-2, 4, and 5-4 and can be played very strongly with a little practice. That low C in the VW cadenza can be hit as hard as you want it without fear of it coming out - there are no "ghost" notes on this horn.

This is an older horn with the clockwork springs on the first 5 valves. The springs were just replaced with genuine factory springs several months ago. Each of these valves has the thumbscrew adjustment to dial in the exact amount of tension desired. The valves are very fast and quiet when kept lubed - there it virtually no clanking at all. About 90% of the lacquer is gone but the horn can be polished up nicely if desired; right now a patina is forming on it.

The following mods have been done on this horn: A previous owner cut the main slide about 1/2". I cut the 1st slide about 3/8" and that slide never, ever, needs to be moved. An additional brace was professionally added to the 4th valve tubing to solidify low register 4th valve notes. I soldered a nickle onto the left hand 5th valve paddle to make it easier to access; but don't worry as I will not be adding an additional 5 cents to the selling price to cover it.

The horn includes an G&W Baer F stainless steel F mouthpiece with a modified rim to fit mere mortals. It also includes an excellent condition custom-fit Altieri gigbag with backpack straps. I will also include a homemade fiberboard straight mute that works very well.

The horn is currently located in Hermitage, TN (near Nashville). I would prefer not to ship the horn but I can ship via USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation and insurance. I recently shipped a bass trombone (in only a gigbag) this way and had no problems whatsoever. the receipient described it as "bombproof packaging". I have already been accumulating the bubble wrap ;)

I am asking $2600 (plus shipping) for all this and think it is well worth it; you can try it and decide for yourself.

Pic taken before additional brace:
next to a MW 2145 CC
Last edited by MartyNeilan on Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:17 pm, edited 8 times in total.
king2ba
bugler
bugler

pm

Post by king2ba »

PM sent
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

My favorite horn is still for sale; bass bone and big CC have been sold to very happy customers. :D and :cry: at the same time.
This is a wonderful bass tuba and I am only selling it because I am desperately trying to raise the 5% downpayment to get into a house.

I know the pics on this ad are pretty small; I can email high-res pictures to anyone interested.
FWIW, although the horn is not that big it is relatively hefty due to the six solid brass rotors and all that extra tubing and related bracing. I feel that this helps lend a lot of heft and darkness to the sound that is often lacking in an F tuba of this size.

Coda: Lest you guys think I am getting out of the game completely, think again. My wife gave me her blessing on getting an older beater in the $$$ to low $$$$ price range. I even showed her a picture of an unlacquered horn that she thought looked OK (you never know about wimmen and aesthetics.) A single 4/4 CC (or BBb even) tuba should serve most modest am to semi-pro needs from quintet to small orchestra to medium-large ensemble quite nicely, while still being able to lay down the occassional horn concerto or Bach cello suite.
Last edited by MartyNeilan on Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

Bump for the weekend.
I wrote a lengthly diatribe comparing this to a Yamaha 621F, which I have also owned. It is too long to post, but I will be happy to send to anyone who may be interested.
ZNC Dandy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ZNC Dandy »

Someone needs to buy this horn. I had the honor to play it yesterday while I was purchasing Marty's 2155R. Its a spectacular instrument. I haven't played an F tuba with a low register as easy as this to play. Just a wonderful singing tone in all registers, and you can really light it up if you want to with the right mouthpiece. Its a very mouthpiece friendly instrument. If I could have mustered together the extra cash to come home with both, I would have. The intonation is spot on, of particular note is the low C and B. WOW. Seriously, someone buy this instrument and give it a good home! Thanks again for your hospitality yesterday Marty! I can't wait to play the 2155R in an ensemble!
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

I have gotten a number of requests about the brace, so here goes:
Although the perspective does not show it, there was a large loop of 4th valve tubing that was basically just suspended in thin air. If you look closely towards the right side of the pic, you can see where I initially experimented with adding the first brace but then removed it. The second location for the brace seemed to work much better, and I had the final soldering professionally done. The low register is tightened up considerably (in a good way); the response is immediate, and the horn can really be cranked a lot harder on 4th valve notes.

By the way, that "doohickey" protruding from the horn near the top right side is not to attach a stand to. It is for when you lay the horn down on its back, so that the valve tubing doesn't get squashed. Pretty smart thinking by the designers - I have not seen that before.

I have had a lot of bites, but if this thing does not sell soon, I am putting it on "the bay".
jonesbrass
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jonesbrass »

I have the same dohickey on the back of my Cerveny Baby Arion F. Another advantage is that it fits nicely into the top of your belt when standing and playing. Great horn-good luck, Marty.
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, 1922 Conn 86I
Gone but not forgotten:
Cerveny 681, Musica-Steyr F, Miraphone 188, Melton 45, Conn 2J, B&M 5520S CC, Shires Bass Trombone, Cerveny CFB-653-5IMX, St. Petersburg 202N
pierso20
5 valves
5 valves

Post by pierso20 »

so what's goin on with this horn? Is it still on hold? it's been quite a while.... :oops:
Brooke Pierson

Music Educator
Composer
Composer http://www.brookepierson.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
pierso20
5 valves
5 valves

Post by pierso20 »

and, excellent.
Brooke Pierson

Music Educator
Composer
Composer http://www.brookepierson.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

Now, Brooke, we can't let you take ALL my old horns, can we??
Adjunct Instructor, Trevecca Nazarene University
pierso20
5 valves
5 valves

Post by pierso20 »

haha well.......world domination is my plan :evil:

I'm actually gonna try and snag a MW 2182 I think....
Brooke Pierson

Music Educator
Composer
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

Bob1062 wrote:Man Wade, you been getting some slick stuff recently (BAT and now this!). What's next?? :D
??????Image
??????