WTB: used CC tuba

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
tubatom91
4 valves
4 valves

WTB: used CC tuba

Post by tubatom91 »

I am in the market for a CC tuba 4/4 to 5/4 size. Somthing like a 186CC I am in a tough spot for cash so any deals would not be imidiate. I am looking in the range of $1500 to $2500 sorry I'm so cheap but I want to learn CC before I need to for College.
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia-Nu Omicron Chapter
Holton 345 BBb 4V
Miraphone 188-5U CC
Meinl-Weston 45S F
pierso20
5 valves
5 valves

Post by pierso20 »

You're going to have to do some looking around.

I think there is a cheaper CC on baltimorebrass.net that may fit your bill.

Make sure you grab a 5v CC and one that at least works!! :P
Brooke Pierson

Music Educator
Composer
Composer http://www.brookepierson.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
tubatom91
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubatom91 »

I've been looking for a long time but all are too expensive...well for me anyways
Holton 345 BBb 4V
Miraphone 188-5U CC
Meinl-Weston 45S F
pierso20
5 valves
5 valves

Post by pierso20 »

Well, if you own a Bb, you may want to save then and wait to buy your CC.

Your prospective university may have one to loan while your there, and you can always switch to CC there.

I played BBb for a 3 semesters and then switches to CC because I could not afford one at the start of school.

If you play well on a BBb, then really, don;t press yourself for a CC too quickly. Save up and get yourself something better than $2,000 will get you...especially for a college student.
Brooke Pierson

Music Educator
Composer
Composer http://www.brookepierson.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
tubatom91
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubatom91 »

the thing is is that I don't have A tuba to start with I am still sponging off the school.
Holton 345 BBb 4V
Miraphone 188-5U CC
Meinl-Weston 45S F
pierso20
5 valves
5 valves

Post by pierso20 »

Well, just keep your eyes out. I'll pay a bit more attention for a but about cheaper horns for ya.
Brooke Pierson

Music Educator
Composer
tubatom91
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubatom91 »

thanks! :D
Holton 345 BBb 4V
Miraphone 188-5U CC
Meinl-Weston 45S F
pierso20
5 valves
5 valves

Post by pierso20 »

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... category0=

I suspect this will sell at too high of a price for you...but worth keeping an eye on.
Brooke Pierson

Music Educator
Composer
Blake Dowling
bugler
bugler

Post by Blake Dowling »

I was in the same position about 3 years ago. I started lookin in my junior year and savin. when it came down to it I lucked out and got my kalison, tuba-exchange bag, and wj case all used for 4000. I ended up borrowing money from my family to fill the rest of the money. so save up and it's not the end of the world if you have to play the school beater for a while.
Kalison D.S. CC PT-48 (molly)
pierso20
5 valves
5 valves

Post by pierso20 »

Blake Dowling wrote:I was in the same position about 3 years ago. I started lookin in my junior year and savin. when it came down to it I lucked out and got my kalison, tuba-exchange bag, and wj case all used for 4000. I ended up borrowing money from my family to fill the rest of the money. so save up and it's not the end of the world if you have to play the school beater for a while.
I second that!!
Brooke Pierson

Music Educator
Composer
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Horns in this price range do come around every now and then, so just be patient and save your $$.

Shop smart and don't buy a ~$1,000 Chinese-made piece of junk from eBay. Also, keep your eyes open, and don't hesitate to "make an offer" on something that is a little out of your price range. Who knows what might come through for you!
quinterbourne
4 valves
4 valves

Re: WTB: used CC tuba

Post by quinterbourne »

tubatom91 wrote:I am in the market for a CC tuba 4/4 to 5/4 size. Somthing like a 186CC I am in a tough spot for cash so any deals would not be imidiate. I am looking in the range of $1500 to $2500 sorry I'm so cheap but I want to learn CC before I need to for College.
Given your price range... how about a Dalyan?

http://www.wwbw.com/Search/Default.aspx ... 4294939891

I have no idea the quality of these horns.
Matt Reese
bugler
bugler

Post by Matt Reese »

I was lucky enough to find my 186 CC 5U for about 2500, and being a 1971 I think it was a real great buy. The previous owner had all the work done on it so all I had to do was get a mouthpiece and learn it. Try to look around the community bands and see if you can find someone with one. That is how I found mine. Best of Luck
Phi Mu Alpha, Kappa Omicron Chapter
Beta Xi Class

Miraphone 188 CC
Miraphone 181 F 6 Valve
Yamaha YBB-103
Getzen 1062
G&W Byamo
Blake Dowling
bugler
bugler

Post by Blake Dowling »

bort wrote:Horns in this price range do come around every now and then, so just be patient and save your $$.

Shop smart and don't buy a ~$1,000 Chinese-made piece of junk from eBay. Also, keep your eyes open, and don't hesitate to "make an offer" on something that is a little out of your price range. Who knows what might come through for you!
I definately second that. Had a chance to Play a JinBao tuba once. It looked purty and was impossible to play, not to mention that the rotors were absolute garbage.
Kalison D.S. CC PT-48 (molly)
tubabuddha
bugler
bugler

Post by tubabuddha »

i have to second having to borrow money to buy my MW 32 but it was a good deal at $3995... at least i think so so just keep checking everywhere you can til you find one
Rudy Meinl-RM 45 CC
Besson 983 Eb

"A pinhole in a trumpet makes the instrument unplayable. A bullet hole in a tuba is never noticed."
Sam Gnagey
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Sam Gnagey »

You may be able to find a used Cerveny Piggy or 681 CC in that price range. Some of them are quite good or with some careful adjustment (tweaking) can be made to play very well.
I wouldn't be confined to the idea of needing a 5 valve horn. Many of us geezers went a long way with our playing on 4-valve CC instruments. It is more work to play well in the low register on a 4-valve horn, but otherwise you can do every bit as much on one as on a 5-valve. Some of them even play sweeter than their 5-valve counterparts.
Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

4 valve

Post by Uncle Buck »

I'll second the opinion that a 5-valve horn is not crucial to you right now. In your price range, you have the potential to find a good 4-valve used CC Miraphone 186, Cerveny Piggy, Conn 2J or 3J - if you are patient. A good 4-valve CC will get you a long way right now.

If you don't have time to wait and shop around, you may want to search the archives for discussion of the Dalyan CC.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

Check the classifieds here, as well as the listings from the "big guys" websites, they have probably been named many times already. Call around and let some of them know what you are looking for, maybe they have something on the workbench that is not listed. Lee Stofer always had different horns going in and out of his shop, I am not sure if he still does in his new location.
DON'T get hung up about appearance; you can often get a much better deal that way. I have seen a number of cheaper and older (and uglier) horns listed at Baltimore Brass over the years. I have bought three of them (Martin, Reynolds Trombone, Weimar), and they all played well despite their appearance.
Adjunct Instructor, Trevecca Nazarene University
gregsundt
Undecided
Undecided

Post by gregsundt »

bort wrote:Horns in this price range do come around every now and then, so just be patient and save your $$.

Amen. The school will almost certainly have something you can play on. It might not be the tuba of anyone's dreams, but if they want your sound, they will find you something.

Quite a few years ago, I was a GTA at a big school. One of the undergrads had played a school tuba for 1 1/2 years, when someone in his hometown found an heirloom 4v Alex CC and sold it to him for $1500! I had just sold my little Cerveny for $1500, so needless to say, I was about as happy for him as I was jealous. It does happen. Don't be too quick on the trigger.

BTW, in your price range, there are lots of good BBb tubas. If your tuba instructor doesn't balk, it's worth considering.
"The only problem with that tuba is, it does everything you tell it to!" - Robert LeBlanc
mshores
bugler
bugler

Post by mshores »

PM Sent about my quality Cerveny Piggy that is in your price range