F tuba

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
pierso20
5 valves
5 valves

Post by pierso20 »

sounds good! 8)
Brooke Pierson

Music Educator
Composer
Composer http://www.brookepierson.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

If your main expected use is for solos,smaller size would be less of an issue.One idea would be to call the different tuba stores and ask if they have any "budget" f tubas.You'll get a little more detail on the horns that way and may even get some horns not listed on their websites.If you take looks out of the equation,you can get some really playable f's in the 2500-4k range occasionally.
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
pierso20
5 valves
5 valves

Post by pierso20 »

MikeMason wrote:If your main expected use is for solos,smaller size would be less of an issue.One idea would be to call the different tuba stores and ask if they have any "budget" f tubas.You'll get a little more detail on the horns that way and may even get some horns not listed on their websites.If you take looks out of the equation,you can get some really playable f's in the 2500-4k range occasionally.
and if you've seen my cc....looks must not be an issue! :P

thanks!
Brooke Pierson

Music Educator
Composer
Composer http://www.brookepierson.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
jbeish
bugler
bugler

Post by jbeish »

From the looks of it, your original post seems to suggest you may want to look at a Yamaha 621 or 822. Both are great quintet/solo horns as well as great orchestral instruments.

However, they just don't have "shimmer" in their sound for me. I've played a few and I've noticed that they're pretty consistent so if you buy before you try like what I understand you want to do, you probably can't go wrong. A member of a premier band was selling his not long ago for like $6k which is a steal for a silver plate 822F since new they're pushing $10k. Good luck.
pierso20
5 valves
5 valves

Post by pierso20 »

thanks..

though, im not entiredly suggestion buy before I play. I wish to (and have) played many and will try to do what I can...it's just not always possible..

I've wanted to try the 621, an dhave tried the 822. I agree...lack of shimmer....but very consistant! :wink:
Brooke Pierson

Music Educator
Composer
pierso20
5 valves
5 valves

Post by pierso20 »

and.........I'd like a beer. :)
Brooke Pierson

Music Educator
Composer
djwesp
5 valves
5 valves

Post by djwesp »

pierso20 wrote:i may be able to snag a besson 983. I really like the horn....and i like the idea of an Eb.....how do they fair in orchestra playing? Does it fit the "sound"?

I've never had any complaints. Then again, I've never been "stupid" about it either. I've played some CC when it merits, and some "tenor tuba" as well.

As for all this different key business. Wow. Seriously, anyone looking for commonality and all that crap, get over it. If you work your scales, work on transposition, and do the things to develop you AS A MUSICIAN (not a note reader), then it doesn't matter what key you are playing. The biggest adjustment is the way the horn feels, responds, and moves around, the rest should be gravy.

Wes "sometimes a note reader, but never proud enough about it to use it as an excuse to get a certain keyed horn" pendergrass
pierso20
5 valves
5 valves

Post by pierso20 »

djwesp wrote:
pierso20 wrote:i may be able to snag a besson 983. I really like the horn....and i like the idea of an Eb.....how do they fair in orchestra playing? Does it fit the "sound"?

I've never had any complaints. Then again, I've never been "stupid" about it either. I've played some CC when it merits, and some "tenor tuba" as well.

As for all this different key business. Wow. Seriously, anyone looking for commonality and all that crap, get over it. If you work your scales, work on transposition, and do the things to develop you AS A MUSICIAN (not a note reader), then it doesn't matter what key you are playing. The biggest adjustment is the way the horn feels, responds, and moves around, the rest should be gravy.
this has been a big solved...lol. I idiototically thought that, and quickly changed my mind...lol :wink:

After all, learining trumpet when I played a BBb horn wasn't really an issue...(and it's a combo of both in fingerings...haha).

Cheers
Brooke Pierson

Music Educator
Composer
pierso20
5 valves
5 valves

Post by pierso20 »

Doc wrote:
pierso20 wrote:and.........I'd like a beer. :)
If I'm buying, it'll only be by the pint or half-liter. Ok with you? We'll have homebrew for dessert. Dig it?

Doc (noting that mere 12oz. bottles are a waste of good glass)
wouldn't have it any other way

sorry about the spat. i get kinda fired up some time....and somehow I feel you are quite the same. :P
Brooke Pierson

Music Educator
Composer
pierso20
5 valves
5 valves

Post by pierso20 »

So I just reserved my name on a Cerveny CFB 635-5 (5+0) horn at Dillons. It comes in in 40 days...this'll keep me from at least prematurely buying another horn.

I FIGURED, I have to at least give this horn a try, since I've been hearing pretty much only positive things about it. (Can't hurt to see something that costs half of the other ones too).

I'll keep you all posted after I get it and let you all know how it plays.
Brooke Pierson

Music Educator
Composer
pierso20
5 valves
5 valves

Post by pierso20 »

i'll make sure I let everyone know and not just blow some wind...unfortunately they;re only getting one is. As matt said, "the days of having multiple instruments in stock is over..."

so we'll see.
Brooke Pierson

Music Educator
Composer
jonesbrass
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jonesbrass »

pierso20 wrote:So I just reserved my name on a Cerveny CFB 635-5 (5+0) horn at Dillons. It comes in in 40 days...this'll keep me from at least prematurely buying another horn.

I FIGURED, I have to at least give this horn a try, since I've been hearing pretty much only positive things about it. (Can't hurt to see something that costs half of the other ones too).

I'll keep you all posted after I get it and let you all know how it plays.
I think you're making a really good move. If you're interested in learning F, playing quintet and small ensemble stuff, this could be a great horn for you. If that one plays as well as the one I got, you're in for a REAL treat. Definitely keep us posted.
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, 1922 Conn 86I
Gone but not forgotten:
Cerveny 681, Musica-Steyr F, Miraphone 188, Melton 45, Conn 2J, B&M 5520S CC, Shires Bass Trombone, Cerveny CFB-653-5IMX, St. Petersburg 202N
pierso20
5 valves
5 valves

Post by pierso20 »

Matt Walters asked me if I needed a hard case of gig bag, and well, since this horn is WAY under my budget I may get both..haha. Who knows. Any reccomendations on a mouthpiece for it?? And I'll ask Matt also.

I'm excited to get to play it.
Brooke Pierson

Music Educator
Composer
pierso20
5 valves
5 valves

Post by pierso20 »

hahahaha......no...........how about bass trombone without a slide and some valves...and...not being a trombone?? :twisted:
Brooke Pierson

Music Educator
Composer
pierso20
5 valves
5 valves

Post by pierso20 »

[quote="jonesbrass
I think you're making a really good move. If you're interested in learning F, playing quintet and small ensemble stuff, this could be a great horn for you. If that one plays as well as the one I got, you're in for a REAL treat. Definitely keep us posted.[/quote]

I noticed the leadpipe is pretty high on the bell in pictures. Is it really that high? or just a funny picture?
Brooke Pierson

Music Educator
Composer
jonesbrass
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jonesbrass »

pierso20 wrote:I noticed the leadpipe is pretty high on the bell in pictures. Is it really that high? or just a funny picture?
I don't find the leadpipe that high. You've got to consider the overall height of the horn, too, which is pretty short (32 1/4 inches) with a VERY open wrap. Puts the leadpipe right where I like it.

Regarding mouthpieces, that's a VERY personal choice. There is no "magical" mouthpiece, despite the searches that go on continually. For me, I like to use the exact same rim (Doug Elliot) on all my horns (CC, F, BBb, euphonium, bass trombone). I vary the shank and cup to fit the horn, which I feel makes transitioning between instruments less of an issue. You're going to have to try a bunch to find what fits you and works with the horn you're playing. In general terms, I like bowl-shaped cups with rotary instruments, and more funnel-shaped mouthpieces with American-style piston tubas. YMMV.
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, 1922 Conn 86I
Gone but not forgotten:
Cerveny 681, Musica-Steyr F, Miraphone 188, Melton 45, Conn 2J, B&M 5520S CC, Shires Bass Trombone, Cerveny CFB-653-5IMX, St. Petersburg 202N
Blake Cooper
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Blake Cooper »

I have a Miraphone 181 F....it's a good horn, i would say i'd love to have a Firebird but i think my horn is a little better suited for Orchestral playing. the 181 is a little larger then the Firebird. I would honestly own either one, but i have thought about selling my horn for a Firebird..but i don't know if i can afford it right now. If i change my mind i'll let you!
P. Blake Cooper, D.M.A.
LA freelancer - Yamaha Performing Artist
pierso20
5 valves
5 valves

Post by pierso20 »

I liked the Firebird, but after hearing about this Cerveny, I just have to at least give it a try. I have a deposit put down and am waiting now for it to arrive. A delay on my part has caused it to be a bit longer before I get the horn. But in a month or so? Who knows....but I can't wait to give it a toot and tell all about it.

I'm just learning on F, so a good priced horn that has a good repuatation is worth looking into. I can't wait to give the update when the horn is in my arms and pressed up against myself....*sigh :wink:

:P Till then!
Brooke Pierson

Music Educator
Composer
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

If any of you guys need a good gigbag for your Cerveny F tuba, I have one that's for sale.

You can find the details here:

viewtopic.php?p=153751&highlight=gig+bag#153751