HB50 Yorkbrunner CC

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Ferguson
3 valves
3 valves

HB50 Yorkbrunner CC

Post by Ferguson »

Used Hirsbrunner HB-50 York model CC. This is a large 6/4 size 4 piston, 1 rotary tuba. The fifth valve is flat whole step. The tuba is raw brass, with a silver plated valve section. This horn was originally owned by Tony Clements of the San Jose Symphony, and now Scott Choate, San Francisco Bay Area freelance guy. The story is that the original tuba was all silver plated, but arrived in the US with shipping damage to the large bows. New parts were ordered from Hirsbrunner and reassembled by Dick Akright, hence the two-tone look. It was built in 1989, serial 082541

Scott is selling because he owns 6 tubas and has to sell one. He's mostly using a PT6 and a Nirschl CC right now. He couldn't list any drawbacks to this horn except that to him it feels mouthpiece specific - like you have to find the right piece to get this horn to sing. In my playing of this horn, I haven't noticed that (I use a Yamaha Bobo Symphonic mouthpiece), and the tuba players in the LA area who've stopped by and tried it all like it. Some work has been done to the horn, including a Nirschl leadpipe, and the valves have been rebuilt, replated and rehoned by Anderson plating. They are tight and work well. My only criticism of the horn is the leadpipe seems like it doesn't wrap all the way around the bell, so with the mouthpiece flat on my face, the body of the horn points away to my left a little, instead of being lined up with my body. This may be easy to adjust if it bothers you at all. However, after playing it a bit, I'm fine with the way I can hold this tuba, as it's pretty comfortable after I got used to it.

$13000 includes gig bag. Shipping is $150-200 within the US.

Find this at Ferguson Music, La Crescenta, CA. sales@hornguys.com

pics at http://www.hornguys.com/hornsinstock.htm