WTB - Newer King 2341, Conn 5J or Jupiter 582 BBb

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
glangfur
bugler
bugler

Post by glangfur »

Have you checked with Baltimore Brass (tubenet sponsor)? A friend of mine got a very good price on a new 3241 there, and it looks like they also have a 5J in stock.

You might also check with Ferguson Music at www.hornguys.com
They advertise a demo model of the 582 coming soon at a reduced price.

Finally, you might not want to rule out a rotary tuba. There's a BBb Mirafone 186 for sale used at Dillon's right now for a good price, and that's a tuba that will certainly take your son as far as he would go with a BBb.
Gabe Langfur
Bass Trombonist
Rhode Island Philharmonic
Vermont Sympony

Lecturer of Bass Trombone, Boston University
Guest Artist/Teacher in Trombone, U of RI

S. E. Shires Co.
gabe@seshires.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

Definitely add rotory horns in the Mirafone 186 / Meinl Weston 25 vein to your list.
Although others on this forum may disagree with me, I would personally suggest removing the 5J from your list if he wants a horn to carry him through the end of high school. It is fine for younger players or as a quintet horn, but despite its decent bell flare it is otherwise a very small horn *

* which has still not stopped a few people people from sounding great on it
Last edited by MartyNeilan on Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adjunct Instructor, Trevecca Nazarene University
Jeffrey Hicks
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jeffrey Hicks »

MartyNeilan wrote:Definitely add rotory horns in the Mirafone 186 / Meinl Weston 25 vein to your list.
Although others on this forum may disagree with me, I would personally suggest removing the 5J from your list if he wants a horn to carry him through high school. It is fine for younger players or as a quintet horn, but despite its decent bell flare it is otherwise a very small horn *

* which has still not stopped a few people people from sounding great on it
I second the removal of the 5j from this list. I have one sitting about 10 feet from me as I write this and I just cannot count the times when it was not enough horn for the ensemble I was playing with. It is a fine well built horn that is just not large enough.
Conn 36K with Mike Finn "H"
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

[quote="glangfur"]Have you checked with Baltimore Brass (tubenet sponsor)? A friend of mine got a very good price on a new 3241 there, and it looks like they also have a 5J in stock.
/quote]

2341 to be picky... ;) Advertised for $3995.

The kid's in middle school and, while I firmly believe a kid should a decent horn to play and shiny newness can be a motivator, minds change quickly at that age and used horns hold their value better than new ones. Something like a three-valve King 2340 can realistically be had for a lot less- $.5-1.5K. Dan Schultz (Tuba Tinker) may even have one in stock and the ones he's sold this year have been in the $1K range. As a starter horn, the fourth valve won't be missed until the child decides to be really serious about the instrument. And maybe not then.

The 'value' statement can also be said about other used horns like the ones you mentioned and the Miraphone 186. Quite a bit more money than an eBay 2340 but may never need to be replaced until second or third year in college if he decides to go that far.

Jeff "IMHO" Benedict