WTB: Cimbasso

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Sam Gnagey
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Sam Gnagey »

Private message sent. Ours are only in F and Eb.

MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

Sam, have you got a pic of someone playing one?Seems from the pic it would be hard to get your face up to it and be able to see...I do love your business model of reclaiming old horns and giving them another shot at life,usually at a higher performance level than their first life.You just gotta think a horn wants to be played and played well...
Last edited by MikeMason on Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
KarlMarx
bugler
bugler

Post by KarlMarx »

Sam Gnagey wrote:…. Ours are only in F and Eb.

Is the shown sample in F or Eb? Or can it be played in either pitch by means of different main tuning slides?

Some time ago you showed your first version of this concept, where the valve slides from the King sousaphone valve block were diagonal and went pretty far out to the sides. Is the shown sample the same one in a tidied up version or is it a later sample?

Alone the bent leadpipe is impressive. Was it made from scratch out of sheet brass to get the desired bore profile?

Carolus Molto Fascinatus

PS: 3 photos of the prototype:

viewtopic.php?t=2904&highlight=
Sam Gnagey
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Sam Gnagey »

The picture on my original post of this topic is of an Eb instrument.
Here's a side view of the F cimbasso. As you can see there's plenty of clearance at the left side of one's head to get to the mouthpiece to play.

The bell section on these is quite a bit larger in the flare than the European made instruments. Of course they don't have the extra bends in those. They come out much longer in front, but their flare is more narrow. I looked at several examples before settling on this bell section, because it most directly duplicats the Bach 50B bell section expanded to the ratio of an F or Eb instrument. The leadpipe is a stock offering from Allied Supply which I modified; also with the intent of replicating the Bach bass trombone's on a larger scale.

The prototyp Eb cimbasso that I made to originally test my ideas has a diagonal valve section that I crafted from a sousaphone cluster. It's a fine playing 4-valve horn that I'm keeping for my personal use. Here's a pic of it.

I have thought about making a CC instrument, but, in looking over the literature for the cimbasso, it seems to me that the F or Eb will do it all nicely. The CC would require a significantly larger bell section to do the job right.
My bass trombone colleague in the orchestra is after me to build him a BBb contrabass trombone. My problem with that project is finding trombone slide tubing in a bore size large enough in my opinion to work. Any leads on that out there?
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

horn

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
When Sam was in town visiting Don Harry, he had his Eb cimbasso with him for us to play--it is an amazing instrument--excellent! I am sure his 'F' is also equally fine. I've only played one other cimbasso (a Rudy Meinl 'F')--Sam's horn blew the Rudy away-period. Not even close.

Regards-
mark
jonestuba@juno.com