New BBb M&M Symphony Model Tuba

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
SinNawlins
bugler
bugler

New BBb M&M Symphony Model Tuba

Post by SinNawlins »

Does anyone have any experience with the new BBb M&M Symphony Model BBb tuba? I am an older bass vocalist & trombonist who is newly in love with tubas and want a "learner" model. It seems I should start with a fair-good 4 rotary valve model. Is the M&M worthwhile for a beginner like me? I am learning some basic fingering on a cheap 4 rotary valve euphonium, but about to shop for my first tuba. What do you guys recommend re the M&M? I don't want to buy something i will not like in 6 months. I am old enough to take good care of a nice tuba and looking at all the alternatives.

Are the Amati or Dalyan 4V BBb's worth looking at? Or should i bite the bullet and risk irritating my wife by shelling out more $$$$ for a new Cervany or what i really would love - a new Miraphone 186S? Just looking for some purchase recommendations... I will never be a symphony player but want something to enjoy for concert band and misc gigs.
geomiklas
3 valves
3 valves

Re: New BBb M&M Symphony Model Tuba

Post by geomiklas »

SinNawlins wrote: ... Or should i bite the bullet and risk irritating my wife by shelling out more $$$$ for ...a new Miraphone 186S?
I bought a used Cerveny Piggy and played it for two summers. Then I irritated my wife and bought a Mirafone 186 CC 5U. Despite a dozen roses, she was still irritated. She became less irritated once I sold the piggy.

Happy tuba hunting.

George
1967 Mirafone 186 CC 5U Tuba
1974 Mirafone 184 CC 5U Tuba
1948 Besson 2-20 CC Sousaphone
2022 Eastern Music (Jinbao) C 4U Euphonium
John Packer JP134 C Valve Trombone
WANTED: Miraphone 56A 5U C Kaiser Baritone (5 or 4+1) :tuba:
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: New BBb M&M Symphony Model Tuba

Post by Dan Schultz »

geomiklas wrote:
SinNawlins wrote: ... Or should i bite the bullet and risk irritating my wife by shelling out more $$$$ for ...a new Miraphone 186S?
I bought a used Cerveny Piggy and played it for two summers. Then I irritated my wife and bought a Mirafone 186 CC 5U. Despite a dozen roses, she was still irritated. She became less irritated once I sold the piggy.

Happy tuba hunting.

George
I got a tuba for my wife once. Good trade!
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Uncle Buck »

No personal experience, but if you search some of the discussions here, it appears Dalyan has gotten more positive comments than M&M.

But, the conventional wisdom (and safest route, especially in terms of resale value) is to go for a used Piggy or Miraphone. If you take care of it like you have described yourself, you should be able to sell it (if you ever choose to do so) for what you paid (unless you overpay).
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

Just my personal experience but you will loose less money on a name brand tuba when you decide to sell it. The M&M might serve a purpose for a time but when you sell it you will wonder where the bottom is.

OR, as an alternative, buy a used M&M. Seen them on ebay once or twice.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.