Olds Studio Baritone/Euphonium Bookmark and Share

Sell and Buy equipment not on eBay

Moderator: Uber Moderators

Olds Studio Baritone/Euphonium

Postby ParLawGod » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:04 pm

I have an Olds Studio (Los Angeles) baritone/euphonium for sale. Bell-front, 2-tone bell, 3-valves. I'm hesitant to sell this, but I just bought a Conn double-bell euphonium so one of them has to go. Of all of the 3-valvers I have ever owned (several Kings and Conns, Olds, a Holton) this has been, by far, my favorite. With my opened Bach 5 mouthpiece this thing played much closer to a large bore euphonium, and better in tune, than I had ever anticipated. Perhaps it was just the mouthpiece selection and my playing style, but I have really grown to enjoy this horn. Granted, it is NOT a pro level horn by any stretch!

Valve plating is very good and the springs were replaced a couple months ago, so the valve action is very good. All tuning slides work and spit corks were also recently replaced. Only downsides are that the plating is worn and the bell could use a fix-up (see photos).

I spent quite some time tracking down an LA Olds Studio (and a few weeks back even made a post looking for a 4-valve LA Olds Studio model) and would really like to see this horn go to someone who'll appreciate it as much as I did/do.

No case or mouthpiece included.

Asking $200 OBO shipped to Con-US. I'll probably leave this posting on here for a few days (I'd rather see it go to someone here), then it's eBay-bound. Thanks for looking!

ParLawGod
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Olds Studio Baritone/Euphonium

Postby ParLawGod » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:44 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know I am open to offers (I'm not married to the price). May also consider a trade for a valve trombone.

Thanks!
ParLawGod
pro musician
pro musician

Postby ParLawGod » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:15 pm

BUMP
Last edited by ParLawGod on Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ParLawGod
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bloke » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:18 pm

The Los Angeles vintage Olds "Studio" series (trumpet/trombone/baritone) was pretty cool. It featured a nickel silver flare brazed on to a brass bell throat, and quite a bit of nickel silver on the rest of the instrument.

Unless I'm mistaken, during the later Fullerton era, the "Studio" series instruments morphed into being nickel PLATED, and the former "Studio" was reversed (nickel silver bell throat with brass bell flare) and called the "Special".

Right now, I'm working on an L.A. Vintage "Studio" trombone (sister to this f/s euphonium) for a professional player. He's excited to have it, as the Olds "Studio" and "Super" trombone models were comparable in quality and size to the formidable King 2B.

The nickel silver bell flare on this euphonium would be an easy fix, and the nickel silver part could fairly easily be buffed out and spritzed with new lacquer for a good appearance. The factory Olds epoxy lacquer strips easily with that "Aircraft Remover" brand of paint stripper. You don't see many of these, as the "Ambassador" series baritones were produced by the crate-load, and these "Studio" instruments were usually special order.
Ask about or order Sellmansberger mouthpieces at 901-465-4739 or click the email icon.
Like us on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sellmansberger-blokepiece-Tuba-Mouthpieces/193759374019965
midsouthmusic (at) aol (dot) com
bloke
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby ParLawGod » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:46 am

BUMP
ParLawGod
pro musician
pro musician

Postby ParLawGod » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:25 pm