Seeking CC Tuba

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
ArnoldGottlieb
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ArnoldGottlieb »

I think I'm in the minority but I've always liked those older (60's-70's) Cervanys. Especially the piggy. Played a bunch of good ones and a couple of bad ones. I did a lot of gigs on a 4 valver for about 7 years, including, bands, orchestras and opera orchestras, dixieland, and the other stuff you've mentioned. Made a bunch of money with that thing. Then sold it for what I paid for it when I bought my PT20P. (My first 5 valve horn and I was almost 33). I would also advise you to make it your JOB to find a horn at that price. I recently got a really great deal on a five valve horn closer to 2 than 3 grand. (a lot closer) because I had cash and knew what I was looking for, and had alerted the "east coast" stores to what I wanted. Such deals regularly come up, but you gotta be first for them. Good Luck, and I'm with Bloke on the "yardwork budget increase" policy.

New edit. I just seached Dillon's and saw 4 horns that meet your criteria. A bit of yardwork and the number goes way up. New edit. One on Lee Stofers site.
cambrook
pro musician
pro musician

Post by cambrook »

I'm sure there are a few god options as people above have said, but I'd also recommend a piggy if you can find a suitable one. I was lucky enough to be able to buy a piggy from the then tuba player in the Melbourne Symphony when he bought one of the first Yorkbrunners, he'd won that job on the piggy.

The piggy suited ME much more than the 186 I had before, and I used it in the Sydney Symphony and won my job on it 21 years ago. No tuba is without faults, but they were minor and it was a rewarding tuba to play. I think this last point is often overlooked in a student horn, not too many people I know need any disincentive to practice :)

Cameron Brook
West Australian Symphony Orchestra