WTB - "keel"

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

What's a "keel" for, anyway???

Post by Uncle Buck »

I apologize that this is not directly responsive to the original post, but I've always wondered what the purpose of a "keel" is, anyway. It at least has the potential to make the tuba more uncomfortable on the lap, but is completely inadequate to allow a tuba to rest on a chair.

Of course, I've never played a tuba with a "keel", (even in Jr. High or High School) but whenever I've seen one, I've always just wondered what the heck it was for.
Steve Inman
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Steve Inman »

It allows the tuba to sail a straight line, preventing the cross-wind in the sails from pushing the tuba sideways through the water. Exactly the same purpose as when used on a sail boat, fwiw . . . .

Steve "har, har" Inman
HMS Kokomo Indiana
Steve Inman
Yamaha YEB-381 Eb
Conn 56J CC
Willson-Marzan CC Solo Model
Kokomo Chamber Brass
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Re: What's a "keel" for, anyway???

Post by Rick Denney »

Uncle Buck wrote:I apologize that this is not directly responsive to the original post, but I've always wondered what the purpose of a "keel" is, anyway. It at least has the potential to make the tuba more uncomfortable on the lap, but is completely inadequate to allow a tuba to rest on a chair.

Of course, I've never played a tuba with a "keel", (even in Jr. High or High School) but whenever I've seen one, I've always just wondered what the heck it was for.
My Sanders/Cerveny had one. Most uncomfortable.

But if I'm not mistaken, I'll guess that Bloke wants something protective on the bottom edge of his CC helicon project--something that looks old, but that will make it possible for him to rest the instrument on the floor without denting the bow.

Rick "just guessing" Denney
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I would make a quick trip to a sheet metal shop and purchase an appropriate length strip of 1/4" x 3/4" brass and have them roll it to the required contour. Then a trip to the bandsaw for the outside shape.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.