Possibly trade for my BAT?

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
chronolith
4 valves
4 valves

Possibly trade for my BAT?

Post by chronolith »

I had a back problem a few weeks ago and my VMI Neptune (rotary) is proving to be painful to play. So maybe a smaller horn is in order...

Is there anybody out there with a smaller horn than maybe would consider a trade. 4/4 or 5/4? Maybe a 2145 or a pt4?

Just exploring possibilities now. I love my Neptune and won't trade unless I can get an equal quality instrument.

Thanks
chronolith
4 valves
4 valves

Post by chronolith »

Let me clarify...

The pain is involved when picking it up and putting it down. Also, it takes some pretty serious holding up and I can't really adjust where I hold on to it because my left hand is manipulating a first valve slide tuning trigger. Also, I used to play a horn where I could comfortably throw my left hand up over the top to work some slides, but this horn is too big for that. That would allow me a little more advantage towards holding the instrument.

I couldn't play this horn standing up even if I had no back issues!!

As far as trade horns go, I like a 2145 in silver with the big valves. As long as the tuning was good I would probably trade for that one outright. Also would consider a 56J or a piston PT. I am not looking to trade down. The Neptune is a fabulous horn and I won't trade unless I can find an equally fabulous horn.
chronolith
4 valves
4 valves

Post by chronolith »

Bump.

Looking at hopefully a 2145/2155 in silver with the big valves, a Conn 56J Satin Silver, or a PT4 or PT6 - for an even trade (do they make PTs in Silverplate?

Anybody know any dealers who might be willing to play ball for a trade of this kind?

I really want to make this happen. I have shows to play and my back is KILLING me.

Thanks!
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Matt G »

If you really love that horn, I suggest this and a stand:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... im/tubenet

Also, the market price of a used Neptune is not equal the the new price of a Silver Conn CC (52/54/56J) nor a silver 2145/2155. It might be on equal with the used price of a PT-4S or maybe (but not likely) a PT-6S. Besides, a PT-6 and a 2155 are nearly as big and as heavy as a Mel Culbertson Neptune (I owned the piston version). Even a 2145 weights a decent amount probably only about 7lbs less at the most than a Neptune. I'm not sure that would make a big enough difference if your back is really ailing.

If you've got a good horn, keep it and just get your back into shape. BTW, the book is real. It is worth every penny.
Dillon/Walters CC
Meinl Weston 2165
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

See if you can find a VAX-D facility near you. They FIX disk problems, and other stuff too.

MA
chronolith
4 valves
4 valves

Post by chronolith »

Thanks for the tip.

I am working with a doctor. My spine seems to be in good shape (luckily). The pain is owed to strain in conjunction with an overextension from a car accident. Tuba was safe at home.

I used to (very happily) play a 2155. It was a big horn yes but it seemed more compact to me and maybe not so hard to hold up. I am going on a test drive tour soon to decide if these horns are really going to help, but I played a 2145 while visiting a friend and there was none of the strain.

I know that my used horn does not equal a new horn. That is why I am trying to offer up a trade. Some dealers keep used stock.
chronolith
4 valves
4 valves

Post by chronolith »

I agree about the silver 2155. I played one for two years. Great horn and it had a very powerful FFF that was centered and unmistakable. The "deadness" you describe I know also, but to me it came across more as "coldness". I really don't know how better to say that. Focused and clear, but not as organic, I guess.

The center weight of the horn may also have to do with playing position. Some people have their mouthpieces centered right over the lowest point on the bottom bow (depending on the horn obviously) which angles the bell out pretty good. Some people play with the bell reaching more towards straight up in the air. That will affect the center. It is something I have had to become very conscious of with the Neptune. I find myself having to favor a more straight up bell to keep the stress off my left hand, arm, shoulder, and ultimately my back.

I just prefer silver plate for the aesthetic. I think it is easier to repair a silver horn and make it look good again. Silver you can melt down and replate, but laquer shows those damn stretch marks. A teacher of mine once was involved in some study that showed that plating has a greater affect on the sound of small instruments than large instruments. So in the end I guess it doesn't matter.