Besson 981 mouthpiece question

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Chen
3 valves
3 valves

Besson 981 mouthpiece question

Post by Chen »

Hi guys,
For those of you who play the Besson 981, what mouthpiece did you find work well on this tuba?

Here's a my current list of interest:
Perantucci PT-84
Dennis Wick 2L
Laskey
Monette 94F
Dillon Sheridan series

Does anyone have experience with those mouthpieces?

Does anyone know what Rex Martin uses on his Eb? Is it a 981? I heard him play the Hindemith sonata on his Eb, He sounded absolutely amazing.
(of course it is all Rex Martin, but I am also curious about his choice of mouthpiece for that tuba.

thanks!
vmi5198
bugler
bugler

Post by vmi5198 »

bruce hamilton wrote:The Dillion Sheridan PS3 works well for me.
I second this notion. S3 is the best for Eb. I prefer it in Gold.

I also convinced my tuba prof to allow me to perform the Hindemith on Eb. It is definately a different approach to the piece, but I really enjoyed this change of pace.
Mark Preece

BE 983
VMI 5198 Neptune
Chen
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Chen »

Sorry, I just realized this is "for sale" page.
billeuph
bugler
bugler

mouthpieces

Post by billeuph »

I use both a Dillon/Sheridan PS-3 and a Wick 3L depending on the tone desired. The wick is deeper and gives a darker tone while the sheridan is a bit brighter but gives better intonation. Both work well.

The wick mouthpieces have a pretty sharp inner rim that some folks object to, but I like the feel. Best to try before you buy if you can. Some folks (mouthpiece express, brasswind) let you buy three mouthpieces and return the two that you don't want for a small fee. Don't know about Dillon's return policy for mouthpieces, but they are great folks and would probably work something out for you.

Bill Anderson
kingconn
bugler
bugler

Post by kingconn »

Depending on the sound I wanted I always used either a bach 22 or a schilke 67.
mike