Meinl Weston 6460 Kodiak F tuba FOR SALE

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Craig Knox
pro musician
pro musician

Meinl Weston 6460 Kodiak F tuba FOR SALE

Post by Craig Knox »

Dear Colleagues,

I am offering my Melton/Meinl Weston 6460 “Kodiak” F tuba for sale. I purchased this tuba new in 2009 from TubaDome in Elkhart, IN. I feel comfortable saying this tuba is in as pristine condition as you will find in a used instrument. There is not a dent – or so much as a ding – on the horn, nor have there been any cosmetic repairs. The silver plate is 100% intact. The only sign of use are some superficial scratch marks on the backside of the instrument, resulting from contact with shirt buttons.

There has been one improvement made to the instrument, in the replacement of the receiver. This is not a custom modification, but rather a factory upgrade made after I purchased the instrument. I was supplied, directly from the Meinl Weston factory in Geretsried, with a receiver that accepts three different sized bits. This allows the user to achieve a proper fit with mouthpieces of different shank sizes (so that proper gap can be maintained no matter the mouthpiece). In the accompanying photographs, you will see a close-up of the raw-brass receiver, as well as two of the bits (the third is in the receiver). The bits fit in very snuggly as a result of a small rubber gasket, and screw in tightly at the end. I found this to be a very helpful modification.

Since purchasing this instrument, it has been my primary orchestral F tuba for use in the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, and can be heard on our recording on Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique, made a week after I purchased the horn (David Saltzman plays 2nd tuba on the recording).

http://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-15581/
http://www.amazon.com/Berlioz-Symphonie ... B003IP2YB2
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/berlio ... d458564174

I am selling the instrument now because I now have two other F tubas which serve my needs, and a third F tuba has become unnecessary. The price is $11,200 for the instrument only (no case). This provides a potential buyer with the opportunity to purchase a truly “like-new”, fully test-driven and proven Kodiak at a substantial discount from the price of a new Kodiak ($13,500) or the price of a used Kodiak currently advertised at Woodwind/Brasswind ($12,200).

Please contact me at psotuba@verizon.net" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank with any questions or if interested.

Thanks very much,

Craig Knox

Craig Knox
Principal Tuba, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra
Center City Brass Quintet
Artist Lecturer, Carnegie Mellon University
Faculty, Curtis Institute of Music
Lukowicz
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Meinl Weston 6460 Kodiak F tuba FOR SALE

Post by Lukowicz »

Bump
Tom Lukowicz
Principal Tuba, Canton Symphony Orchestra
Associate Professor of Low Brass, University of North Alabama
http://www.tuba-lessons.com
John DiCesare
pro musician
pro musician

Post by John DiCesare »

Bump
John DiCesare
Seattle Symphony
Artist in Residence - University of Washington
bud
bugler
bugler

Post by bud »

I played this particular Kodiak and 4 other Kodiaks back when they first arrived during a trip to WWBW and Tuba Dome several years ago. I kept notes and serial numbers. This particular one was clearly the outstanding tuba of the 5.
John DiCesare
pro musician
pro musician

Post by John DiCesare »

Bump
John DiCesare
Seattle Symphony
Artist in Residence - University of Washington
Philtubes
bugler
bugler