Silver plated Alexander F Tuba

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
slafrance42
lurker
lurker

Silver plated Alexander F Tuba

Post by slafrance42 »

I have a silver plated Alexander 5 valve F Tuba once owned by Dan P. I bought it in the early 90's. It is in great condition and plays well. I am interested in selling it, but would like to know what it was worth and where to try and sell it. Thanks for any assistance you can offer.
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Silver plated Alexander F Tuba

Post by doublebuzzing »

slafrance42 wrote:I have a silver plated Alexander 5 valve F Tuba once owned by Dan P. I bought it in the early 90's. It is in great condition and plays well. I am interested in selling it, but would like to know what it was worth and where to try and sell it. Thanks for any assistance you can offer.
A good place to sell it is right on this forum here. You will probably be able to get some ballpark estimates about how much it is worth by posting some pictures here and asking the resident experts. Pictures only tell a part of the story though and you should describe in the most fair way possible the characteristics of how it plays. Things you like and dislike about the horn.
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EMC »

I'd say considering that there is another Alex F in outstanding condition going for about 5500, that a silver one in similar condition would probably go for something in the range of 6500 to 7500, just my guess though there's always different factors that can effect how much someone would be willing to buy it for.
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

EMC wrote:I'd say considering that there is another Alex F in outstanding condition going for about 5500, that a silver one in similar condition would probably go for something in the range of 6500 to 7500, just my guess though there's always different factors that can effect how much someone would be willing to buy it for.
A price might seem reasonable in theory, but at the end of the day, it will depend on how much people have to put down on a horn.

[Anecdotal]
I think every horn that sells for above $5000 is at a serious disadvantage. It seems that the interest in used horns above $5k, just tapers down on this forum. $3-4 K is a very popular selling point for many different types of horns.

I'm not sure silver plating, or Dan P owning it really add much to the value of a horn. Certainly not $2K has the above poster has alluded to.

For full disclosure, I sold an Alex F for $3K (plus shipping) about 2 years ago. There were two others for sale at the same time as mine, and they sold for similar prices ($3300 and $3500, IIRC). A quick sale price for an older Alex in good condition seems to be around that. You probably can sell it for more, but, I would speculate that getting over $5.5k would mean having to wait a long time for the right buyer to come along.

[/Anecdotal]

YMMV.
Last edited by PMeuph on Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

On the subject of Alexander prices:

There seems to be about a $5,000 ceiling on used Alexanders, in my experience and observation...

The 163 CC prices for 4 or 5 valve examples is typically in the $4k-$5k range. Those that ask for more typically have their instruments sit for sale for many months or even more than a year. Although offered less, the 163 BBb prices are more-or-less the same, but there appears to be more demand for the CC models.

Alexander F tubas seem to command less money for some reason. They are usually offered and sold for $3k-$4500 with the occasional offering at $5k, and very rarely for much more. They are known to be exceptionally quirky instruments which seems to scare people away from investing heavily in them, imho.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
Ted Cox
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Ted Cox »

Typically, Alex's sell for about $1,000 per valve. It's been this way for years. I own a 6 valve Alex F that's around 55 years old and it looks practically brand new. I paid 6K and didn't worry about it at all. I also got the original hard case. After owning a 6 valve Alex, I would probably not own a 5 valve Alex. ANY Alexander tuba takes time to learn - maybe longer than you have the patience for. Heads turned when I first played my Alex F in the orchestra. Nothing sounds like an Alex!

Vintage, condition, linkage, valves, pitch, and sound all play into the price of course. It makes for a nice story that Mr. P owned it at one time, but I wouldn't pay a nickel more for that history. In nearly a half century of playing tuba, I've never played a silver plated Alex. Interesting!

Post some pictures and see if there is a serial number on the top plate of the second valve. If not, it was built before 1975. Personally, I'd love to see it.

Good luck,
Ted
johnhadden
bugler
bugler

Post by johnhadden »

I'd be interested in purchasing this horn. Please email me some pics:
johnhadden@mail.usf.edu" target="_blank
John Hadden
Brass Development Coordinator, Buffet Crampon USA
(904) 412-3682
john.hadden@buffetcrampon.com" target="_blank
bigboymusic
3 valves
3 valves

Post by bigboymusic »

If this is the horn I think it is (and I'm pretty sure it is Steven LaFrance :) It is a stellar example of why these horns are sought after. It was 20 years ago, but the horn played like a dream. Even better when Steve played it. I HIGHLY recommend the seller and the horn...... You will not be displeased with this purchase.... As an Alex trader and collector, this one is worth at least 5K....
Paul Weissenborn
St. Joseph Symphony Orchestra (MO)
Spirit of Independence Band
SJSO Quintet
Alex 163 CC
YEB 321S
slafrance42
lurker
lurker

Post by slafrance42 »

I want to thank you all for your insight. Yes, Paul you got me. Great to hear from you! I took some pictures of the horn which might shed some more light on this. Sorry for the delayed response, but there is this thing called work... you can guess the rest.

Thanks!

Steven
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

FWIW, there is a 1970s Alexander F tuba with 6 values up on eBay for $8,000 right now.
Frank Ortega
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Frank Ortega »

PM sent.
Frank Ortega
Band Director
Saddle Brook MS/HS
The Bloomfield Civic Band
Music Director/Conductor
Bon Temps Brass
slafrance42
lurker
lurker

Post by slafrance42 »

I am new to this page and until today was unaware of the Private Message area. I apologize for not getting back to those who have communicated through that tool. I will be responding throughout the day.

To generally answer the questions I have received. I am interested in selling the instrument because I haven't played it in a number of years and it is too good of a horn to live its life in a case.

I don't know what it is worth at this point and have not determined a price. I truly appreciate the feedback of the members of the forum to help guide that decision.

The history as I know it was that I purchased the horn from a student of Dan P when Dan was at ASU who purchased it from him. He had used the horn for a number of years as his main small horn, but was now endorsing and developing a specific brand and passed it on to his student. Many have asked about the repair history of the instrument and what I have had done over the years is minimal consisting of minor dent repair. When I purchased the horn I was told that when Dan P was on tour the instrument fell from a luggage conveyor belt and was damage and that Bob Tu**I worked it and redid much of the horn. It is in about the same shape of better than when I became its steward.

I have more pictures of the instrument and will try and figure out how to get better quality images available for view.

It is difficult to pass on this horn as it has been with me over 20 years, but I have come to realize it needs to come to life again. It is a wonderful instrument and has served me well. Though I am selling it, I am not in a rush and want it to go to a player who can tap its potential and maintain its condition.

The horn is located in Tucson, Arizona.

Thanks again for all of your collective insight and guidance.

God Bless!

Steven La France
slafrance42
lurker
lurker

Post by slafrance42 »

Finally listed the Alexander F Tuba on Ebay. Please take a look and bid if you are interested. Thank you all for your input and insight.
slafrance42
lurker
lurker

Post by slafrance42 »

Have not posted or been on here for awhile, but wanted to let everyone know that this Alexander F Tuba will, once again, soon be up for sale on ebay. We thought we had a buyer for it, but they did not follow through with purchase. Thanks!