FS:System Blue Tuba Mouthpiece

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Skytuba12
lurker
lurker

FS:System Blue Tuba Mouthpiece

Post by Skytuba12 »

I'm looking into selling my Blue Devils System Blue tuba mouthpiece. I've played on it twice, and personally did not like the way it felt. I'm selling the mouthpiece for $80. I will pay for shipping.
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Re: FS:System Blue Tuba Mouthpiece

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Out of curiosity, are there any specs on these mouthpieces?
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
kyleayoub
lurker
lurker

Post by kyleayoub »

I played on one of these for the last two summers with the Blue Devils, I love the mouthpiece. It's a large Helleberg style mouthpiece, it was designed to be like a Laskey 30H with a sharp rim like a Bach mouthpiece.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Yes, we all know what it is supposed to be "like." Can you measure the inside cup diameter just below the rim, and if possible, the throat? Thanks.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

The King System Blue site doesn't list any specs that I can find. I have both a Laskey 30H and a System Blue (SBTU), so I took some admittedly rough measurements.

The rim diameters are so close that when I measure them with my tape measure they appear identical. Someone with a caliper might find a slight difference. The Laskey specs give the rim diameter as 1.295" which converts to 32.9 mm.

The SBTU does have a larger throat than the Laskey. The Laskey is 0.323"/8.2mm. The SBTU is roughly 0.343"/8.7mm. Again, my measuring technique may not be as accurate as someone else's who has better equipment.

Both pieces have almost identical cup depths (about 1.5"/38.1 mm from rim to throat opening) and shapes (Helleburg). Both pieces have flat rims whose inner edges appear similar, but the SBTU's falls off toward the outside edge more than the 30H's does.

Dillon's sells these pieces and last I checked, their prices were quite good, but still more than Skytuba12's.

Hope this helps..............
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Thanks. That is what I thought, but wanted to be sure. That is too large in both the cup i.d. and the throat for me, but I do appreciate the time and attention it took to make measurements.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

iiipopes wrote:Thanks. That is what I thought, but wanted to be sure. That is too large in both the cup i.d. and the throat for me, but I do appreciate the time and attention it took to make measurements.
+1
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

No problem, that's why we're here. This might be a good opportunity for kyleayoub.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Post by aaronliu »

I was referred to this thread by Heavy_Metal. (Thank you, Heavy Metal.)

I just wanted to say that I may be interested. I am looking into a couple of other mouthpiece possibilities, too.

One is a mouthpiece with an asymmetric rim, a Wedge mouthpiece that would have to be made, in plastic.

The other thing I did was to ask another mouthpiece maker what he would recommend from his range of products.

Once I know more I will know whether I would be interested in this one. If so, I will contact Skytuba12 directly.
dwcramer2
lurker
lurker

Post by dwcramer2 »

Was this mouthpiece ever sold?
Don
4/4 CC Franken-York
1917 Conn Bb Helicon